The Houston Parks and Recreation Department released a schedule Monday detailing its plan to begin reopening city-ran fields, facilities, and leagues throughout the month of March.
“We’ve had numerous discussions with health and medical experts over the past several weeks and have determined that we can now safely reopen some of the park’s features our citizens are anxious to see a return,” Mayor Sylvester Turner said.
As parks reopen, officials are urging visitors to follow CDC safety guidelines and other COVID precautions; this includes wearing masks at certain gatherings, social distancing, getting vaccinated, washing hands, carrying hand sanitizer, covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing and staying home if you are feeling ill.
In the release, the city warned facilities could shut down again if COVID cases spike.
Monday, March 8 – Permitting for Practice Use Only Begins
- Sports fields (Baseball/Softball – Youth and Adults)
Monday, March 22 – Tentative reopening based on COVID-19 case numbers.
- Sports fields for league games and tournaments (Baseball/Softball – Youth and Adults)
- Outdoor exercise stations
- Tennis courts for tennis tournaments
- Small picnic pavilion rentals
- Small bootcamps
- Lake Houston Wilderness Park archery range and playground areas
Depending on COVID numbers, reservations will begin on March 15, 2021.
Monday, March 29 – Tentative reopening based on COVID-19 case numbers
- Other sports fields for league games and tournaments (soccer, football, and lacrosse fields – Youth and Adults)
- Basketball rim installations begin
- Soccer mini-pitch courts
- HPARD adult sports
- HPARD youth sports (Soccer for Success, H-Town Academy, and GHPAL)
Depending on COVID numbers, reservations will begin on March 22, 2021.
Most community centers, swimming pools, the Lake Houston Wilderness Park dining hall, group camping sites, and group lodges will remain closed until further notice.
The Metropolitan Multi-Service Center will also remain closed until further notice, except for outdoor activities.