78.5 F
Houston
Saturday, May 23, 2026

Home Blog Page 7

Ronda Rousey Defeats Gina Carano in 17-Second MMA Comeback Fight

0

Former UFC champion Ronda Rousey made a stunning return to mixed martial arts Saturday night, defeating Gina Carano by armbar just 17 seconds into their highly anticipated comeback bout at the Intuit Dome.

The fight marked Rousey’s first MMA appearance in nearly a decade and Carano’s first in 17 years. Rousey wasted no time after the opening bell, quickly taking Carano to the mat and securing her signature submission move for the fast finish.

Rousey Says Farewell to MMA

Following the victory, the 39-year-old Rousey said the bout was likely the final chapter of her legendary fighting career.

“I didn’t really want to hurt her,” Rousey said after the fight. “Luckily it was beautiful martial arts. That’s what I think that was. It was art.”

Rousey also joked that with her husband and children watching, she wanted to end the fight as quickly as possible.

The win added another rapid finish to Rousey’s historic résumé. During her rise to superstardom in the 2010s, she famously won multiple fights in under a minute and helped bring women’s MMA into the mainstream.

Carano Embraces the Moment

Despite the quick defeat, Carano remained upbeat and emotional after returning to the cage at age 44.

“I wanted that to last longer,” Carano admitted. “Getting in here after 17 years was a victory.”

The two pioneers shared a hug after the bout and raised each other’s hands in a show of mutual respect.

Netflix Hosts Historic MMA Event

The event at Intuit Dome was also notable for being the first live MMA card streamed on Netflix, continuing the platform’s expansion into combat sports broadcasting.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Cleveland ISD teacher charged with improper relationship with student, jail records show

0

CLEVELAND, Texas (KTRK) — A Cleveland ISD teacher is facing charges after investigators say she had an improper relationship with a student, according to district officials and jail records.

PREVIOUS REPORT: Cleveland ISD employee accused of improper relationship with student: letter to parents

Liberty County jail records show Ajante Hill was charged on May 8 with having an improper relationship with a student. Records indicate Hill remains in custody, and her bond was set at $50,000.

Questions from parents surfaced online after Cleveland ISD sent a letter to families earlier this week describing a “serious matter” involving the district’s Ninth Grade Center School.

On Saturday, Cleveland ISD Police Chief James Kelemen confirmed Hill was the employee referenced in the letter sent to parents.

District officials said Hill is no longer on campus or in contact with students. Cleveland ISD stated that established safety protocols remain in place to ensure a secure learning environment for all students. Officials have not confirmed if Hill is still employed by the district.

In a statement, Superintendent Dr. Glenn Barnes said, “School safety remains our highest priority,” adding that the district “acted immediately upon receiving this information and continues to fully cooperate with law enforcement and all appropriate authorities.”

District officials have not confirmed whether the alleged misconduct happened on or off school grounds.

Authorities have not released additional details about the allegations. The investigation remains ongoing.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Enjoy Salsa de Mayo, Tomato Season in the East End on Saturday

Finca Tres Robles Hosting Free Community Festival

Finca Tres Robles will celebrate the start of Houston’s tomato season with its annual Salsa de Mayo festival on May 16 in the East End.

The free, family-friendly event runs from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the urban farm located at 5715 Canal Street.

Food, Music, and Local Culture

Salsa de Mayo will feature a neighborhood salsa competition showcasing homemade recipes and local flavors, along with live music, local vendors, and family activities.

Attendees will also see the unveiling of a new mural by Houston artist Jatziri Barron.

“Finca Tres Robles is more than a farm — it’s a gathering place where community, culture, and food come together,” said Executive Director Tom Garcia-Prats.

Supporting Local Food Access

Small Places operates Finca Tres Robles and offers educational programs, fresh produce sales, and community events throughout the year.

Tickets and additional information are available at Salsa de Mayo.

For more Houston events, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Israel-Lebanon Ceasefire Extended as US Pushes New Peace Talks

The ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon has been extended for 45 more days following two days of negotiations hosted by the United States Department of State in Washington, D.C..

State Department spokesperson Tommy Pigott said Friday that the discussions were “highly productive” and aimed at supporting future diplomatic progress between the neighboring countries.

Next Round of Talks Scheduled

Political negotiations are set to resume on June 2 and 3 as both sides continue working toward long-term stability along the Israel-Lebanon border.

The State Department also announced the launch of a separate security-focused negotiation track led through the United States Department of Defense. Those talks will begin May 29 and include military representatives from both nations.

US Seeking Long-Term Regional Stability

According to U.S. officials, the goal of the negotiations is to promote lasting peace, strengthen border security, and support mutual recognition of sovereignty and territorial integrity between Israel and Lebanon.

The ceasefire extension comes amid ongoing regional tensions and continued international efforts to prevent further conflict in the Middle East.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo warns the budget deficit could impact fees and services

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — If you’re worried about paying a new City of Houston trash fee, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said just wait until what could be coming due to their deficit.

Harris County prepares for its first-ever $3 billion budget

Right now, Houston City Council is going through its budget process. Leaders will vote on a new budget next month.

The proposal includes a $5 monthly trash fee. On Thursday, Judge Hidalgo warned that increases could also be coming from the county.

“The fact of the matter is just as you hear the trash fee, the trash fee, the trash fee, you’re going to be hearing about Harris County fees, cuts, others soon enough,” Hidalgo said.

Commissioners won’t approve a budget until September, but they got a preview of how the finances look this week. They found out from Budget Director Daniel Ramos that expenses could top $3 billion for the first time.

As for the deficit, Ramos said the worst-case scenario is that it’s $257 million. The best-case scenario, he said, is that the county faces a deficit of about $130 million.

“This is the lowest possible deficit,” Hidalgo explained. “That would mean that we set the tax rate basically as high as we can set it within the state constraints, and I don’t know if my colleagues will do that in an election year.”

The county has been here before. Last year, the budget director said the county faced a $200 million deficit.

To close the gap, commissioners chose to cut non-law-enforcement budgets, find efficiencies, and implement a hiring freeze.

Here’s what’s driving the deficit

A document presented to commissioners outlines the causes of rising expenses. The report shows that the main reason is that higher pay for law enforcement was approved last year.

The document shows that increased law enforcement pay will add $73 million. Health benefits and higher pay for other departments will add nearly $70 million more.

Also, if they restore hiring, it will add $25 million more to the budget, according to the document. Ramos said inflation is impacting them as well.

Next year, the county expects the cost of repairing its vehicles to be $6 million higher. Also, higher gas prices the county anticipates will add another $5 million to the budget. Overall, Ramos said inflation will add $20 million to the budget.

Will it be fees or efficiencies to close the gap?

To close the gap, Hidalgo warned they’ll need to increase fees, cut services, and increase taxes as high as they can.

“$129 million is not the type of money you find shaking the couch cushions,” Hidalgo explained. “It’s roughly equal to one month’s rent for 95,000 residents.”

Not everyone agrees. Commissioner Tom Ramsey believes there’s time to figure it out without impacting neighbors’ wallets.

“I don’t think we’re going to get to the answer by raising fees or raising assessments,” Ramsey said. “I do think there are efficiencies.”

It’ll take a while to see what direction the county goes. Ramos said he’ll present a budget proposal in August.

Commissioners will make a final decision in September.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Gulf breeze cranks up, storm chances return to Houston next week

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — Get ready for that humid Gulf air to make a big come back in the days ahead. Strong onshore winds will pump up the humidity, setting the stage for multiple rain chances next week.

The Gulf breeze is gently blowing this morning, which brings a slight increase in humidity through the weekend, but comes with some benefits as well. The breeze will help clean up the air and prevent widespread ozone pollution like that observed on Wednesday and Thursday.

You’ll also notice more cloud cover in the sky, but temperatures should still manage to top out around 90 degrees.

When does the moisture surge back in?

You’ll really feel the humidity going up by Sunday as that Gulf breeze gets even stronger. The rise in moisture levels will also bring small chances of rain into the forecast over the weekend. We have a 10% chance Saturday and 20% chance Sunday.

What’s the latest on rain chances next week?

Multiple jet stream disturbances will track overhead next week bringing more widespread rainfall to Southeast Texas. These disturbances are difficult to time out more than 24 hours in advance, so rain chances are still a bit uncertain. For now we have rain chances at 40% to 60% for most of the work week. Some of the storms could be strong-to-severe early in the week due to the unstable air, then we may see more of a street flooding risk materialize later in the week as the ground becomes saturated.

SEE ALSO: ABC13 Weather Watch: Widespread storms could bring street flooding, severe weather Friday

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Former Cuban President Raúl Castro Could Face U.S. Indictment, Sources Say

Former Cuban leader Raúl Castro could face a criminal indictment in the United States within days, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

Federal investigators in South Florida are reportedly examining Castro’s possible connection to the 1996 shootdown of civilian aircraft operated by the humanitarian organization Brothers to the Rescue.

Investigation Focuses on 1996 Plane Shootdown

The incident occurred when Cuban fighter jets shot down two planes flown by the Miami-based exile group over international waters, killing four people onboard. The organization was known for conducting missions to locate and assist Cuban migrants attempting to flee the island.

The potential case is reportedly being handled by prosecutors in the Southern District of Florida.

Trump Signals Tougher Cuba Policy

The possible indictment comes as Donald Trump increases pressure on Cuba during his current administration.

Earlier this month, Trump made controversial remarks suggesting the United States would soon shift its attention toward Cuba following tensions involving Iran. His comments sparked renewed debate over future U.S.-Cuba relations and possible policy changes toward Havana.

Cuba has long faced strained diplomatic relations with the United States, particularly over human rights concerns, political repression and Cold War-era conflicts.

Officials have not publicly confirmed whether formal charges against Castro will ultimately be filed.

For more on the possible indictment of Castro, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Suspect in custody after standoff with law enforcement at northwest Harris County home, HCSO says

0

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) — A suspect is in custody after a standoff with law enforcement at a northwest Harris County home on Friday, according to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

The Harris County Sheriff’s Office said SWAT members responded at 9 a.m. to the 16200 block of Coleburn in reference to a felony warrant, after a wife was allegedly assaulted by her husband.

HCSO said that authorities conducted surveillance on the home and tried to make contact with the suspect, but he ran and barricaded himself inside the home.

Deputies said that they heard a noise that caused concern, which they believed was a possible gun racking.

Authorities said that the suspect wouldn’t cooperate with law enforcement, which led to the SWAT team deploying gas into the home. At 1:45 p.m., the suspect surrendered peacefully to law enforcement, HCSO said.

The sheriff’s office said that the suspect has a history of family violence. Previous charges include continuous violence charge against a family member in 2025, a charge of assaulting a family member in 2017, and a charge of injury to a child for allegedly choking his 12-year-old son in 2012. According to court records, these prior charges were dismissed each time after the suspect completed a family violence class. The suspect was also charged with violating a protective order in 2012 but the case was dismissed.

HCSO said that the suspect’s wife was treated at a hospital and released. Additionally, there are children who live in the home, but weren’t home at the time of the incident.

If you need help getting out of a domestic violence situation, call the Houston Area Women’s Center 24/7 hotline at 713-528-2121 or call AVDA at 713-224-9911. You can also click here to chat with an advocate online. If you are deaf or hard of hearing and need help, call 713-528-3625.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Burger King parking lot shooting sends 2 teens to hospital, suspect in custody, HPD says

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — Two 16-year-olds were injured and rushed to the hospital after a shooting in the Third Ward, according to the Houston Police Department.

The incident happened at the 3700 block of Scott Street near Yates High School and between the Texas Southern University and the University of Houston’s campuses.

HPD said that the teens were hurt but expected to be OK.

Investigators said that officers in unmarked cars saw the suspect flee and board a METRO bus. They added that they followed the bus and arrested him once he got off.

Lt. Larry Crowson said officers found two weapons hidden in some landscaping at a nearby Burger King.

Crowson added that an argument led to the shooting in the Burger King parking lot, adding that it stemmed from an ongoing dispute and that the three people involved may attend the same school.

HPD said they were assisted by HISD PD, Metro PD, and Pct. 7 Constable’s Office.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Federal Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty in Killing of Israeli Embassy Staffers

Federal prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Elias Rodriguez in the fatal shooting of two Israeli Embassy employees in Washington, D.C.

Rodriguez, 31, faces multiple charges, including murder, hate crimes and terrorism-related offenses in connection with the May 2025 attack outside the Capital Jewish Museum.

Victims Were Israeli Embassy Employees

The victims were identified as:

  • Yaron Lischinsky
  • Sarah Milgrim

Authorities said the couple had planned to become engaged before they were shot and killed while leaving an event at the museum.

According to investigators, Rodriguez allegedly shouted “Free Palestine” during the attack and later told police he carried out the shooting “for Palestine.”

Terrorism and Hate Crime Charges

Jeanine Pirro said in court filings that the nature of the killings justifies pursuing capital punishment if Rodriguez is convicted.

Federal prosecutors initially charged Rodriguez with murder and hate crimes before adding terrorism charges in a superseding indictment earlier this year.

Lischinsky, an Israeli citizen, was working for the Israeli government on official business in the United States at the time of the shooting. Milgrim, a U.S. citizen from Kansas, also worked for the Israeli Embassy.

Rodriguez has pleaded not guilty, and a trial date has not yet been announced.

The shooting intensified concerns about rising antisemitic violence and political extremism in the United States following tensions linked to the Israel-Hamas conflict.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.