
A man armed with a weapon was shot and killed by U.S. Secret Service officers after opening fire near the White House on Saturday evening, according to officials.
The shooting happened around 6 p.m. near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, close to a White House security checkpoint. Authorities said the suspect removed a firearm from a bag and began shooting toward officers stationed in the area.
Secret Service Returned Fire
In a statement, the Secret Service said officers “returned fire, striking the suspect,” who was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
A bystander was also struck during the exchange of gunfire. Officials said it remains unclear whether the individual was hit by the suspect’s shots or by return fire from law enforcement. The bystander’s condition has not been released.
No Secret Service personnel were injured.
Suspect Previously Known to Authorities
Multiple officials told ABC News the suspect was a 21-year-old man previously known to the Secret Service.
Court records reportedly show the suspect had a stay-away order from the White House issued in July 2025 after allegedly attempting to breach a security checkpoint. Authorities said he previously claimed to be “Jesus Christ” and wanted to be arrested.
The same records also indicate the suspect had been involuntarily committed in a separate incident in June 2025.
White House Temporarily Locked Down
The White House North Lawn was quickly cleared after the gunfire erupted. Reporters at the scene were ordered to run into the White House Press Briefing Room for safety.
President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time of the incident, according to officials.
The FBI is assisting the Secret Service in the ongoing investigation.
For more on this investigation, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.
