78.5 F
Houston
Saturday, May 23, 2026

Home Blog Page 5

Long Island Rail Road Strike Ends as Service Set to Resume Tuesday

The Long Island Rail Road strike is officially over after New York officials and union leaders reached a labor agreement late Monday, Gov. Kathy Hochul announced.

LIRR Service Returning Tuesday

Hochul said phased train service will begin resuming at noon Tuesday, with full service expected by the afternoon commute. The governor added that operations should be fully restored in time for Tuesday night’s New York Knicks game.

“The strike is ending at midnight tonight,” MTA CEO Janno Lieber said during a press conference alongside Hochul and LIRR President Rob Free.

Commuters are encouraged to check the LIRR app and website for updated train schedules as service ramps up. Morning commuters will still rely on buses and shuttle services before trains fully return.

Deal Reached After Intense Negotiations

The strike began Saturday after the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and five unions representing LIRR workers failed to agree on a new contract. It marked the railroad’s first strike in 32 years.

The unions had pushed for 14.5% wage increases over four years, while the MTA proposed slightly lower raises combined with a lump-sum payment.

Hochul said the agreement provides raises for workers while protecting taxpayers and riders. She declined to release additional contract details until union members ratify the deal.

The governor also emphasized that train fares will not increase to fund the agreement.

Hundreds of Thousands Impacted

The Long Island Rail Road serves more than 300,000 daily riders, and the strike caused major commuter disruptions across the New York region.

New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani praised both sides for reaching a deal and said city agencies would continue monitoring traffic and commuter conditions as service resumes.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Shakira Cleared in Spain Tax Fraud Case, Owed Nearly $70 Million

Shakira has been acquitted in a long-running tax fraud case in Spain after the country’s High Court overturned a $64 million fine against the global music star.

Court Rejects Tax Fraud Allegations

Spanish authorities had accused Shakira of being a tax resident in Spain in 2011, arguing she spent more than 183 days in the country while in a relationship with former FC Barcelona player Gerard Piqué.

However, the court ruled officials failed to prove the singer met the residency requirement that would have obligated her to pay Spanish income taxes that year.

A representative for Shakira said the ruling means the Spanish government now owes her nearly $70 million.

Shakira Speaks Out After Ruling

In a lengthy statement, the Queen of Latin music said the eight-year legal battle damaged her health, reputation, and family life.

“There was never any fraud,” the Grammy-winning singer said, accusing authorities of treating her as guilty before proving wrongdoing.

She also said she hopes the ruling sets a precedent for other taxpayers facing similar investigations.

Lawyer Criticizes Spanish Authorities

Shakira’s attorney, José Luis Prada, called the case an example of a “highly flawed administrative practice” and said the ordeal placed an “unacceptable toll” on the singer.

He added that many ordinary taxpayers lack the resources to fight lengthy legal battles against the government.

Separate Tax Case Previously Settled

In 2023, Shakira settled another Spanish tax case involving income from 2012 to 2014. She agreed to pay a $7.5 million fine to avoid a possible prison sentence, while continuing to deny wrongdoing.

A separate investigation tied to her 2018 taxes was later dropped in 2024.

For more celebrity updates, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

3 Killed in Shooting at San Diego Islamic Center; Police Investigating Hate Crime

Three adult men, including a security guard hailed as a hero, were killed Monday in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, according to police. Authorities say the attack is being investigated as a possible hate crime.

Security Guard Credited With Saving Lives

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said the security guard played a “pivotal role” in preventing an even deadlier tragedy at the mosque, the largest Islamic center in San Diego County.

“His actions were heroic,” Wahl said during a press conference, adding that the victims were found near the front of the center.

Police confirmed that all children inside the mosque were safely evacuated. Images from the scene showed officers leading children and adults away in single file.

Suspects Found Dead

Authorities said the two suspects, ages 17 and 18, died from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds shortly after the attack. Investigators discovered anti-Islamic writings inside the suspects’ vehicle.

The shooting was reported shortly before noon. As officers responded, police also received reports of additional gunfire nearby, including an incident involving a landscaper who may have been struck in the helmet.

Officials later located the suspects’ vehicle abandoned in the street and found both teens dead inside.

Police Probe Motive

Investigators say “hate rhetoric” appears linked to the attack. Earlier Monday, police received a report from the mother of one suspect about missing weapons and a stolen vehicle. She also told officers the teens were dressed in camouflage clothing.

Authorities stressed there had been no specific threat made against the mosque or nearby schools before the shooting.

Community Reacts

“This horrifying act of violence” has deeply shaken the Muslim community, said Tazheen Nizam of the San Diego chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said patrols around mosques, synagogues, and other religious sites have been increased citywide following the attack.

For more on this tragic shooting attack against the Muslim community, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Body recovered after search for missing 38-year-old kayaker out of Galveston, officials say

GALVESTON, Texas (KTRK) — The body of a missing kayaker was recovered in West Galveston Bay on Monday afternoon, according to the Texas Game Wardens.

The USCG-Heartland posted online it was searching for a 38-year-old man out of West Galveston Bay after he was reported missing Sunday evening.

The search began after two adult brothers launched kayaks in Galveston Bay, the Texas Game Wardens said, adding that neither was wearing a life jacket when one of the kayaks capsized.

One brother was able to make it back to shore, but the other did not resurface, according to authorities. The man was last seen wearing a black shirt and gray shorts.

Authorities said multiple agencies searched for the missing kayaker throughout Monday, eventually locating and recovering his body.

Officials said the body was released to the Galveston County Medical Examiner’s Office. The victim’s identity has not been released by officials at this time.

Authorities reminded the public to wear a properly fitted U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket while on the water, adding that most boating fatalities in Texas involve victims who were not wearing one.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Man found stabbed to death in vehicle inside Midtown-area parking garage, HPD says

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — Investigators are working to learn more about a man’s death after they say he was found stabbed inside a parking garage in the Midtown area over the weekend.

According to the Houston Police Department, officers responded to a suspicious vehicle parked inside a garage on Crawford Street at about 3:30 p.m. on Sunday. That’s where police said they found a man in the backseat who appeared to have been stabbed.

HPD said first responders pronounced the man dead at the scene.

The victim has not been identified.

Anyone with information is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Early Voting Begins for Texas Primary Runoff Election

Early voting is now underway for Texas’ May 26 primary runoff election, with polls open from May 18 through May 22 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

One of the state’s most closely watched races is the Republican runoff for U.S. Senate, where incumbent Sen. John Cornyn faces Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. A recent University of Houston Hobby School survey showed Paxton holding a slim lead.

On the Democratic side, attention is focused on Congressional District 18. Christian Menefee was sworn into office earlier this year, while longtime Congressman Al Green is now running in the district following Texas’ congressional redistricting.

Voters who participated in the March primary must vote in the same party’s runoff election.

Harris County residents can review sample ballots and find polling locations through Harris Votes

For the latest election coverage, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Americans Arrested After Entering Monkey Enclosure at Viral Japanese Zoo

0

Viral Baby Macaque Draws Global Attention

Two American tourists were arrested in Japan after one allegedly entered a monkey enclosure at the popular Ichikawa City Zoo, home to Punch — the baby macaque that became an internet sensation earlier this year.

According to police, the incident happened Sunday when a 24-year-old American man climbed over a fence and dropped into a dry moat surrounding the monkey exhibit. Authorities said another American, a 27-year-old singer, filmed the stunt.

Social Media Stunt Sparks Police Response

Videos shared online showed the man wearing a costume featuring a large smiley-face head and sunglasses as monkeys scattered around the enclosure. Zoo officials quickly intervened before the men could approach the animals.

Police said the pair were arrested on suspicion of forcible obstruction of business, though both deny the allegations. Officials also claimed the men initially provided false names and carried no formal identification.

Punch the Macaque Became a Viral Star

The zoo recently saw a surge in visitors after Punch captured hearts online. The baby macaque was reportedly abandoned by his mother shortly after birth and later photographed hugging an IKEA plush orangutan for comfort.

Born in July, Punch was raised in an artificial environment before beginning reintegration training with his troop earlier this year. Fans worldwide rallied around the monkey using the hashtag “#HangInTherePunch.”

Growing Concerns Over Tourist Behavior in Japan

The arrests come as Japan experiences record-breaking tourism numbers alongside increasing complaints about disruptive visitor behavior.

Recent incidents include the arrest of a Ukrainian YouTuber accused of trespassing in the Fukushima nuclear exclusion zone and American livestreamer Johnny Somali, who was arrested in 2023 over alleged trespassing at a construction site.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Rounds of rain expected this week, strong storms and street flooding possible

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — Increasing moisture levels will pave the way for a wet week with multiple rounds of showers and storms expected Tuesday through Friday.

Monday will look and feel pretty similar to what we witnessed on Sunday. A gusty, southerly breeze will keep the humidity high and bring a few showers too. Temperatures Monday will only climb into the mid 80s once again with it being another mostly cloudy day. An isolated shower will be possible, otherwise most areas stay dry.

What’s the latest on rain chances this week?

Multiple jet stream disturbances plus a cool front will help bring more widespread rainfall to Southeast Texas. Rain chances really begin to climb Tuesday evening as this cool front approaches the Houston area. It likely reaches Southeast Texas and the I-10 corridor Wednesday, then stalling midweek. This plus the jet stream pattern will keep the chance for multiple rounds of showers and storms in the forecast through the end of the work week. And while there is the chance a few of these storms could be on the strong side with gusty winds and small hail, the main threat will be the piling on of rainfall with round after round of rain. By the end of the week there could be a daily risk for street and urban flooding plus isolated flash flooding depending on where and when the heavy rain falls.

How much rain are we talking for this week?

With several rounds of rain in the forecast this week and possibly into Memorial Day weekend, portions of Southeast Texas could easily pick up around 3 to 5 inches of rain with some spots receiving upwards of 6 to 8 inches when all is said and done. Remember that these totals are spread amongst several days, so it should be a manageable rainfall forecast for the most part. However, street and urban flooding will be a daily possibility and there will always be the chance for flash flooding depending on how much rain falls when and where plus how saturated the soil is. And there’s the chance bayous, creeks and streams could be running high all week long, but no bayou flooding is forecast at this time.

Any early indications on what it’ll look like for Memorial Day weekend?

At this time there’s the chance we keep some of these showers and storms going to kickoff Memorial Day Weekend on Saturday, so you may need to plan around those. There is the possibility that the rain and storms wont be as widespread, especially heading into Sunday and Monday. Otherwise expect a warm weekend with morning lows in the low-mid 70s and afternoon highs in the mid-upper 80s through Monday.

SEE ALSO: ABC13 Weather Watch: Widespread storms could bring street flooding, severe weather Friday

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Astros’ Jose Altuve Placed on Injured List With Oblique Strain

0

The Houston Astros will place star second baseman Jose Altuve on the injured list after he suffered a Grade 2 left oblique strain, manager Joe Espada confirmed Sunday.

Altuve underwent an MRI after appearing to injure himself during an awkward swing in Saturday’s win over the Texas Rangers. He did not play Sunday.

Espada did not provide a timetable for Altuve’s return but said younger players will get more opportunities during his absence.

Rookie Brice Matthews started at second base Sunday, while Braden Shewmake could also see increased playing time.

The Astros entered Sunday with 14 players already on the injured list. Altuve, a nine-time All-Star, is batting .245 with 12 RBIs this season as Houston struggles at 19-29.

For the latest Houston local sports news, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

New data shows Houston-area suburb sinks more than a foot in nearly two decades

KATY, Texas (KTRK) — A Houston suburb has sunk more than a foot over nearly two decades, according to new data.

The report stated that the fast-growing community of Katy is sinking, but this particular suburb isn’t alone.

Data showed parts of northwestern Harris County are in the same boat, and that it has to do with the amount of groundwater withdrawal in the area.

The Harris-Galveston Subsidence District said that when large amounts of groundwater are removed, it causes the land to sink.

Officials from the district said that while the process is slow, it’s also irreversible.

“It’s alarming and shocking. It’s kind of scary, too, at the same time,” Katy resident, Maria Shelton said.

Katy had the greatest subsidence rate in the region, according to the district.

The district tracks that data through 190 GPS monitoring stations.

“We also saw areas of subsidence occurring all throughout northwestern Harris County in areas like Katy, Cypress, Tomball, Spring, The Woodlands; all of those areas are showing active subsidence,” Casey Hughes, HGSD Communications Director, said.

The district said subsidence is the gradual sinking of the land caused by groundwater withdrawal.

“The areas that we are seeing actively subsiding, those areas still rely heavily on groundwater to supply their water demand,” Hughes said.

The process is slow, but permanent, according to the district.

“Damage to infrastructure, like your homes, roads, bridges, buildings,” Hughes said. “It can also increase our flood risk.”

Other parts of the region have also felt the impact, like the Brownwood Subdivision in Baytown.

“Some areas, like in Baytown, they experienced about ten feet of subsidence over the course of about four decades,” Hughes said.

But the district said those areas aren’t seeing any subsidence anymore because of the groundwater regulations they put in place.

They said the focus now shifts to the northwestern parts of the county as well.

“There is a conversion requirement by 2035 for those areas to fully transition from groundwater to alternative water supplies,” Hughes said.

The subsidence district said that if that doesn’t happen, there is a financial penalty of $12,520 per million gallons of water.

Katy residents told ABC13 they hope the sinking slows down before any problems rise to the surface.

“How can we change it? What does that look like for us being here in the Katy area? Because we love Katy,” Katy resident, April Thompkins said.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.