79.9 F
Houston
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Home Blog Page 8

Appeals Court to Hear Challenge Over Trump Orders Targeting Law Firms

0

Federal Judges Previously Ruled Orders Unconstitutional

A federal appeals court is set to hear arguments Thursday over executive orders issued by Donald Trump that targeted four major law firms tied to his political opponents.

The cases involve Perkins Coie, Susman Godfrey, WilmerHale and Jenner & Block.

Four separate federal judges blocked the orders, ruling the measures likely violated the Constitution. Some judges compared the administration’s actions to tactics used during the McCarthy-era “Red Scare.”

Orders Sought Restrictions on Law Firms

The executive orders aimed to limit the firms’ access to federal buildings, suspend security clearances and reduce government interactions with attorneys connected to the firms.

Lawyers for the firms argued the penalties would severely damage their businesses and intimidate legal organizations representing political opponents of the White House.

The U.S. Department of Justice defended the orders, arguing the president has authority to address national security and discrimination concerns involving firms working with the federal government.

DOJ Reversed Course on Appeal

In March, the Justice Department briefly moved to withdraw its appeal before reversing course less than a day later and continuing the legal fight.

Meanwhile, several other large law firms reportedly reached agreements with the Trump administration to provide nearly $1 billion in pro bono legal services supporting White House-backed causes in exchange for avoiding similar executive actions.

The appeals court’s decision could shape the limits of presidential power over private law firms and government access.

For more on the impending appeals court decision, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

BTS, Madonna and Shakira to Headline 2026 World Cup Halftime Show

FIFA Announces First-Ever World Cup Final Halftime Performance

BTS, Madonna and Shakira will headline the first halftime show in FIFA World Cup final history.

The championship match will take place July 19, 2026, at MetLife Stadium.

Global Citizen and FIFA Reveal Star-Studded Event

FIFA and Global Citizen announced the lineup on social media with help from Chris Martin and characters from Sesame Street.

The halftime show will raise funds for the FIFA Global Citizen Education Fund, supporting education and soccer access for children worldwide.

Artists Bring Global Star Power

BTS recently returned following mandatory military service in South Korea and released their latest album, ARIRANG, earlier this year.

Shakira, known for the 2010 World Cup anthem Waka Waka, also released the official 2026 World Cup song, Dai Dai, featuring Burna Boy.

Madonna is preparing to release Confessions II, the follow-up to her 2005 album Confessions on a Dance Floor.

More Performances Planned Across North America

The 2026 World Cup, hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico, will also feature opening ceremony performances from artists including Katy Perry, J Balvin, Michael Bublé and Alanis Morissette.

FIFA says the halftime show marks a major new era for the World Cup, bringing a Super Bowl-style entertainment experience to the global soccer tournament.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Cleveland ISD employee accused of improper relationship with student: letter to parents

CLEVELAND, Texas (KTRK) — An employee at Cleveland Ninth Grade Center has been charged with having an improper relationship with a student, according to an email sent to parents late Wednesday.

In the email, which a parent forwarded to Eyewitness News, Cleveland ISD said it recently became aware of the alleged relationship and that Cleveland ISD police began investigating.

On Wednesday, the district said it was told the employee would be charged with an improper relationship between educator and student.

The district has not identified the employee or their role at Cleveland Ninth Grade Center.

The email also doesn’t say whether the staffer is still employed by the district.

Cleveland ISD did not respond to ABC13’s request for comment.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

New Giant Dinosaur Species Discovered in Thailand

Scientists Identify Southeast Asia’s Largest Known Sauropod

Researchers have discovered a massive new dinosaur species in northeastern Thailand that may be the largest long-necked dinosaur ever found in Southeast Asia. The species, named Nagatitan chaiyaphumensis, lived between 100 and 120 million years ago during the Cretaceous period.

The dinosaur’s name combines “Naga,” the serpent-like creature from Southeast Asian mythology, and “titan,” referring to the giant figures of Greek mythology. Fossils were first uncovered in 2016 in Thailand’s Chaiyaphum province.

Artistic illustration of Nagatitan chaiyaphumensis
Patchanop Boonsai

Huge Fossils Reveal a 27-Ton Giant

Scientists excavated 10 fossilized bones, including a front leg bone measuring nearly six feet long. Researchers estimate the dinosaur weighed around 27 tons — more than twice the size of a modern African elephant.

Lead researcher Thitiwoot Sethapanichsakul from University College London described the dinosaur as “the last titan” of Thailand because no younger dinosaur fossils are expected to be found in the region.

Discovery Could Boost Paleontology in Thailand

Excavation work paused in 2020 due to limited funding but resumed after researchers received support from the National Geographic Society in 2023.

Scientists say the discovery highlights Thailand’s growing importance in dinosaur research. Paleontology in Thailand is still relatively young, with major studies only beginning in the 1980s.

Researchers hope the discovery of Nagatitan chaiyaphumensis will inspire more interest in science, fossils, and prehistoric life across Southeast Asia.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

More ozone pollution problems predicted for Thursday, rain returns to Houston next week

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — Thursday brings another round of hot temps and ozone pollution, but changes are coming this weekend that set the stage for multiple rain chances next week.

After unhealthy levels of ozone pollution were observed Wednesday afternoon, the air quality should improve Thursday morning. Temperatures will start off in the mid-to-upper 60s. With humidity reaching near 100%, some patchy light fog is possible, especially outside of Houston. Abundant sunshine today will boost high temperatures into the low 90s. With light southerly winds, ozone pollution problems could pop up in Houston-area neighborhoods, especially near and north of I-10. Ozone is a lung irritant that can trigger asthma attacks and dry coughs in sensitive individuals.

When will the ozone problems go away?

The Gulf breeze will get stronger on Friday and even stronger over the weekend, helping to clean up the air and improve air quality.

When does the moisture surge back in?

You’ll really feel the humidity going up this weekend as that strong Gulf breeze kicks in. The rise in moisture levels will also bring small chances of rain into the forecast over the weekend. We have a 10% chance Saturday and 20% chance Sunday. You’ll really notice the extreme steam by Sunday, but it will be partially offset by the strong winds gusting up to 40 mph at times.

I hear a bigger rainmaker is coming next week. What’s the latest on that?

We are eyeing an upper level storm to impact us Monday through most of the work week that could bring more widespread rain to Southeast Texas. Details are sketchy at this time, but we’ll keep you posted! For now we have rain chances at 40% to 60% for most of the work week.

SEE ALSO: ABC13 Weather Watch: Widespread storms could bring street flooding, severe weather Friday

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Salsa de Mayo Celebrates Houston Tomato Season in the East End

Finca Tres Robles Hosting Free Community Festival

Finca Tres Robles will celebrate the start of Houston’s tomato season with its annual Salsa de Mayo festival on May 16 in the East End.

The free, family-friendly event runs from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the urban farm located at 5715 Canal Street.

Food, Music, and Local Culture

Salsa de Mayo will feature a neighborhood salsa competition showcasing homemade recipes and local flavors, along with live music, local vendors, and family activities.

Attendees will also see the unveiling of a new mural by Houston artist Jatziri Barron.

“Finca Tres Robles is more than a farm — it’s a gathering place where community, culture, and food come together,” said Executive Director Tom Garcia-Prats.

Supporting Local Food Access

Organizers say sponsorship opportunities remain available for businesses and community partners interested in supporting the farm’s mission of expanding access to affordable local produce and strengthening community connections in Houston’s East End.

Small Places operates Finca Tres Robles and offers educational programs, fresh produce sales, and community events throughout the year.

Tickets and additional information are available at Salsa de Mayo.

For more Houston events, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Man Sentenced in Matthew Perry Ketamine Overdose Case

Erik Fleming Gets 2 Years in Prison

A man involved in supplying ketamine to Matthew Perry before the actor’s fatal overdose was sentenced Wednesday to two years in federal prison.

Erik Fleming pleaded guilty in 2024 to conspiracy and distribution charges connected to Perry’s October 2023 death at age 54.

Federal prosecutors said Fleming helped arrange multiple ketamine transactions between Perry’s assistant and drug dealer Jasveen Sangha, including the fatal dose.

Erik Fleming arrives at federal court in Los Angeles for sentencing in connection with the ketamine overdose death of actor Matthew Perry, May 13, 2026, in Los Angeles. Screenshot courtesy of
Caroline Brehman/AP

Prosecutors Cited Profit Motive

Authorities said Fleming knew about Perry’s history of addiction but still brokered drug deals involving unmarked ketamine vials. Prosecutors argued he profited from the sales and played a key role in the illegal distribution network.

Fleming faced up to 25 years in prison but received a reduced sentence after cooperating with investigators. His punishment also includes three years of supervised release.

Outside court, Fleming apologized to Perry’s family and fans, saying he felt remorse every day for his role in the tragedy.

Multiple Convictions in Perry’s Death

Five people were charged in connection with Perry’s overdose death, including doctors and Perry’s live-in assistant.

Last month, Sangha — known as the “Ketamine Queen” — was sentenced to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty to multiple drug distribution charges tied to Perry’s death.

For more on the Perry ketamine overdose case, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Senate Blocks Iran War Powers Resolution Again

0

Senate Vote Fails to Advance Measure on Iran Conflict

The U.S. Senate on Wednesday failed to advance a War Powers Resolution aimed at limiting military action against Iran without congressional approval.

The resolution, introduced by Jeff Merkley, was rejected in a narrow 49-50 vote, marking the seventh unsuccessful attempt to move forward with similar legislation.

Bipartisan Support Emerges

Republican senators Lisa Murkowski, Rand Paul and Susan Collins joined most Democrats in supporting the measure.

However, John Fetterman voted with Republicans to block the resolution from advancing.

White House Says Iran Conflict Has Ended

The failed vote comes as White House officials argue congressional authorization is unnecessary because the conflict with Iran effectively ended after the April 8 ceasefire agreement.

President Donald Trump previously acknowledged the ceasefire remained fragile, though administration officials maintain offensive military operations have stopped.

Debate Over Congressional Authority Continues

The War Powers Resolution is designed to give Congress oversight of military action, but lawmakers have never successfully used it to force a president to end hostilities.

Murkowski has also been working on a potential Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) related to Iran, which would formally allow Congress to debate and approve military action.

Still, Senate Majority Leader John Thune said earlier this week there appears to be little Republican support for an AUMF, arguing it is unnecessary while military operations remain paused.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Ronald Greene Family Reaches Tentative $4.8M Settlement with Louisiana State Police

0

Settlement Nears Resolution in 2019 Death Case

The family of Ronald Greene has reached a tentative $4.8 million settlement with Louisiana State Police over his 2019 death following a violent encounter with troopers.

State police confirmed Wednesday that negotiations are ongoing and declined to discuss final terms until the agreement is officially completed. Under Louisiana law, the settlement still requires approval from the state legislature.

Greene’s Death Sparked National Outrage

Greene, a 49-year-old Black motorist, died on May 10, 2019, after a high-speed police pursuit near Monroe, Louisiana.

Authorities initially told Greene’s family he died after crashing his vehicle into a tree. However, body camera footage released nearly two years later showed troopers beating, restraining and repeatedly using stun guns on Greene after the chase ended.

The footage fueled widespread criticism and renewed calls for police accountability.

This image from video from Louisiana state trooper Lt. John Clary’s body-worn camera shows trooper Kory York standing over Ronald Greene on his stomach on May 10, 2019, outside of Monroe, La.
Louisiana State Police via AP

Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed by Family

Greene’s family filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit in May 2020, alleging excessive force and a cover-up by law enforcement.

His mother, Mona Hardin, has been a leading voice demanding justice and transparency throughout the years-long legal battle.

No Jail Time for Officers

Five Louisiana law enforcement officers were initially charged in connection with Greene’s arrest, but none will serve jail time after several charges were reduced or dismissed.

In January 2025, the U.S. Department of Justice informed Greene’s family it would not pursue federal criminal charges, closing another avenue for prosecution.

If approved, the settlement would mark a significant legal resolution in one of Louisiana’s most closely watched police misconduct cases.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Woman found dead in apartment after family didn’t hear from her for several days, HCSO says

0

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) — The Harris County Sheriff’s Office says a homicide investigation is underway after a woman was found dead at an apartment in north Harris County on Tuesday evening.

According to the sheriff’s office, crime scene investigators and homicide detectives responded to the scene at the apartment complex on Cypress Station Drive at about 5:30 p.m.

HCSO said that apartment management found the woman’s body after her family, who hadn’t heard back from her for several days, requested a welfare check.

Deputies said that the woman, who was in her early 20s, suffered severe trauma.

According to HCSO, there were no signs of forced entry. Deputies said they’re working to talk to neighbors and look for surveillance video inside and outside the complex.

“We’re still in the process of interviewing family members, so we don’t have any obvious suspects at this time. That will be something that we’ll be doing as far as trying to get her information — as far as what she had been doing lately, as far as whether or not she had boyfriend, whether or not she had any issues, that kind of thing,” HCSO Sgt. Jason Brown said.

Brown said it’s not yet clear exactly when she died, but likely sometime in the last couple of days.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.