The World Health Organization says the Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo is worsening rapidly, with nearly 750 suspected cases reported so far.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Friday that the WHO raised the national risk level in the DRC from “high” to “very high” as the virus continues spreading in conflict-affected regions.
Hundreds of Suspected Cases Reported
According to the WHO, the outbreak has led to nearly 750 suspected infections and 177 suspected deaths. At least 82 cases and seven deaths have been officially confirmed, though officials believe the true numbers are much higher.
The outbreak is centered in the eastern provinces of North Kivu and Ituri, areas impacted by ongoing violence and displacement.
Security Challenges Hampering Response
WHO officials said medical tents and supplies were set on fire during a security incident in Ituri, disrupting response efforts and contact tracing operations.
Meanwhile, Uganda has confirmed a small number of linked Ebola cases after travelers arrived from the DRC.
An American doctor infected while treating patients in the DRC remains hospitalized in Germany, where he is reported to be severely weakened but stable.
For more on the recent ebola outbreak and health recommendations, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

