With summer in full swing, it’s time to take advantage of all of the fun activities Houston has to offer. With lots of places to cool down and escape the heat, Que Onda has selected fun activities for you, your family, and friends to do this weekend.
- 30th Annual Texas Music Festival at the University of Houston | Daily – Attend one or several classical music events during the month-long Texas Music Festival. Now in its 30th year, the festival showcases some of Texas’ brightest young artists in a series of concerts and other celebrations. Tickets for the Orchestra Series concerts are $25; tickets for the Perspective Series concerts are $20; ticket packages for the full festival are also available. Showtimes vary.
- Disney’s Aladdin at the Hobby Center | Daily – Rub the magic lamp and fulfill your wish to see the beloved Disney classic, Aladdin, come to life in a family-friendly, musical production at Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets start at $50, but limited discounted tickets are available starting at $35 for select shows or you may find cheaper or better seats using TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- Comedian Nikki Glaser at Houston Improv | Thursday to Saturday – Crack up at a stand-up show by comic Nikki Glaser when she brings her comedy act to Houston Improv. Tickets range from $25 to $50. Use promocode NIKKI365 for 2-for-1 tickets for the Thursday show. Showtimes vary.
- Houston Astros vs. Seattle Mariners at Minute Maid Park | Friday to Sunday – Get loud for the Astros when they take the field to play the Mariners in a home game at Minute Maid Park. Tickets start at $15, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Times vary.
Friday, June 28th
- Houston Museum of Natural Science: Discounted Exhibit Hall Admission – Score entrance to the Houston Museum of Natural Science Exhibit Hall at a discounted price when you purchase a special voucher, which will be available throughout all of 2019. Tickets are $25 for ages 12 and up; $16 for ages 3 to 11; $16 for ages $62 and up; discounted $11.10 tickets are available for most dates. 9am to 5pm.
- HAAPIFEST 2019: Houston Asian American Pacific Islander Film Festival – The HAAPIFEST Closing and Community Arts Night happens at the Chinese Community Center. The festival features free screenings of more than 65 Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) films and is a celebration of AAPI art, film, and music in Houston. All day.
- Gamertagg Nation at Toyota Center – Showcase your gaming skills while playing Madden 19, Call of Duty, or NBA 2K19 in a competitive tournament during Gamertagg Nation at Toyota Center. Cash prizes will be awarded to the top players. Tickets start at $65. 10am.
- Train and Goo Goo Dolls in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Head to Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion for a live performance by Grammy winners Train and the Goo Goo Dolls. Tickets start at $29.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
Saturday, June 29th
- Gulf Coast Volleyball Association Galveston Open on East Beach – Bump, set, and spike your way to the top at the Gulf Coast Volleyball Association’s Galveston Open, located on East Beach. Open to both members and nonmembers, the first 100 players to check in will receive a free T-shirt. $25 per person; $50 per team. Beachgoers are welcome to watch at no cost. 9am to 9pm.
- Hands on Texas History Festival at The Bryan Museum – The Bryan Museum will celebrate Texas history with the best living history festival Galveston Island has ever seen. Hands on Texas History will feature live maritime, Celtic, and pioneer music, a chuckwagon, a comedic medicine show, a branding demonstration, a gunsmith, Buffalo Soldiers, games, costumed historical re-enactors, an authentic WWII 2 truck and jeeps, coastal animals, delicious barbecue, beer and wine, and more. Tickets are $5; $3 for ages 15 and under. 10am to 5pm.
- The Woodlands Margarita Festival at Town Green Park – Cool off with one or several citrusy concoctions at the fourth annual Woodlands Margarita Festival. Offering more than 15 flavors of the summertime cocktail, the event features tequila tastings, live music, a market, and a vote for the top mixologist. General admission tickets are $23 in advance; $30 at the gate, but a limited number of discounted $13.50 tickets are available. 2pm to 8pm.
- Gold Cup Quarterfinals at NRG Stadium – Cheer on your pick from the winners and runners-up of Groups A and B in the Concacaf Gold Cup when four leading soccer teams compete in the double-header quarterfinals at NRG Stadium. Tickets start at $30, but you may find better or cheaper tickets using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. One ticket is good for both matches. 6pm.
- Houston Dash vs. Portland Thorns at BBVA Compass Stadium – Cheer on the Dash as they play the Thorns in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets start at $15. 7:30pm
Sunday, June 30th
- Heights Morning Market at Onion Creek | No Cover – Grab a tasty brunch, listen to live music, and sip mimosas, then head out to shop a market of artisan goods, fresh produce, artwork and more at Heights Morning Market. 10am.
- Namaste Sundays at The West End – A Public House | FREE – Kick off your Sunday with a free yoga session, followed by brunch and bubbly at Namaste Sundays, held at The West End – A Public House. 10am to 11am.
- All Day Happy Hour at Conservatory | No Cover – Get your game on for free while enjoying Conservatory’s all-day happy hour, which features more than 60 types of draft beer, wine, and select whiskeys. 11am to 10pm.
- NOLA Nights at Sugar Land Town Square | No Cover – Get your fill of authentic Nawlins music and cuisine when Sugar Land Town Square hosts NOLA Nights, featuring live music by The New Orleans Hustlers Brass Band with small plates and beer from Rouxpour on the plaza. 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
- Anita Baker in concert at Smart Financial Centre – Don’t miss a live performance by the eight-time Grammy-winning songstress, Anita Baker, when her farewell concert series returns to Houston at Smart Financial Centre. Tickets start at $89, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.