78.4 F
Houston
Friday, April 4, 2025

Home Blog Page 358

Jun 09 – Jun 15, 2022 | Weather

0

¡Que Onda Magazine!

El Líder del Clima.

Mantente informado.

Click on the map to view details or click here: QOHW0609

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In snub to Biden, Mexico’s president won’t attend US-hosted Summit of the Americas

Mexico's President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador announced Monday he will not attend the Americas Summit in Los Angeles because the US government did not invite all the governments of the region. (Photo by PEDRO PARDO / AFP)

Mexico President Andrés Manuel López Obrador announced Monday that he is skipping this week’s Ninth Summit of the Americas, a blow to President Joe Biden as he tries to unite the region to address migration.

“There cannot be a summit if all countries are not invited,” López Obrador said at a press conference Monday after the United States refused to invite Cuba, Nicaragua, and Venezuela to the summit.

He said Mexico’s foreign affairs secretary, Marcelo Ebrard, will attend the summit instead. López Obrador said he will meet with Biden in July.

López Obrador has been threatening to boycott the summit if the United States didn’t invite every country in the region, including the autocratic leaders of Cuba, Nicaragua, and Venezuela.

The Biden administration said they do not want to invite countries that have not upheld democratic principles.

López Obrador’s absence is likely to be seen as a snub to Biden as the U.S. prepares to host the summit for the first time since its inception in 1994. The summit is scheduled to begin Wednesday.

The White House has said climate change, COVID-19, and the economy are going to be among some of the issues discussed.

But a priority for the administration is migration. The United States has seen record levels of migrants coming to the U.S.-Mexico border over the past year. In April, the United States saw a record number of border encounters for that month in more than two decades.

The Biden administration has tried to work with key countries in the region, including Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador, to address the root causes of migration.

López Obrador might not be the only key official who is skipping out on the summit.

Newly-elected Honduras President Xiomara Castro previously indicated that she would not attend the summit if some countries were excluded from the event.

Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., criticized López Obrador’s decision to skip out on the summit, saying it “will, unfortunately, set back efforts to continue repairing the relationship and to cooperate on issues pertinent to the well-being of both our nations.”

Menendez said the Mexican leader is standing “dictators and despots over representing the interests of the Mexican people in a summit with his partners from across the hemisphere.”

 

Tropical Storm Alex Forms in the Atlantic Ocean

0
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) continues to monitor the course of tropical storm Alex. Based on the current forecasts from the National Hurricane Center, Alex poses no threat to Texas.

Now is a good time to check your emergency kits and review your emergency plans. Stay informed by following HCOHSEM updates online, on social media, and by signing up for Ready Harris Alerts or ReadyHarris Accessible Alerts. For more information on how to prepare, review our hurricane preparedness and evacuation guide. You can also text GULF2022 to 888777 to receive hurricane season updates.

CRIME STOPPERS OF HOUSTON  FUGITIVE FRIDAY

0

In an effort to keep our neighborhoods safe, Crime Stoppers of Houston and the Harris County Sheriff’s Office are seeking the public’s help locating the following individuals that have active Felony and/or Misdemeanor Warrants.

Crime Stoppers may pay up to $5,000 for information leading to the location and arrest of the suspects featured. Information may be reported by calling 713-222-TIPS (8477), submitted online at www.crime-stoppers.org or through the Crime Stoppers mobile app. All tipsters remain anonymous. Only tips and calls DIRECTLY TO Crime Stoppers are anonymous and eligible for a cash reward.

The following individuals all have active warrants as of June 3, 2022 8:30 am.

ALISSA CATHERINE ALLEN
W/F      04-28-78      5’00”/100 Lbs.      Bro/Bro
Warrant #: 1715053
FELON POSS WPN
Last known location: Houston Texas

KIERRA NICOLE BENJAMIN

B/F      07-12-92      5’05”/140 Lbs.      Bro/Bro
Warrant #: 1756405
SEX OFFENDER DUTY REG LIFE/ANNUALLY
Last known location: Houston Texas

NICOLE SIMMS BERFECT

B/F      07-02-94      5’07”/190 Lbs.      Blk/Bro
Warrant #: 1745685, 1730667
THEFT >=2,500 <30,000
THEFT AGGREGATE =>$2,500<$30K 1CW
Last known location: Houston Texas

KRISTIE ANN EDWARDS

W/F      10-27-70      5’04”/140 Lbs.      Bro/Bro
Warrant #: 1759277, 1725144, 1667233, 1664442
FRAUD/USE/POSS ID INFO-LESS 5 ITEMS
BURGLARY OF HABITATION
THEFT-MAIL IDINF<=10 ADD W/INT
TAMPER/FABRICATE EVIDENCE
Last known location: Channelview Texas

MICHELLE MARILYN GUTIERREZ

W/F      06-09-78      4’11”/160 Lbs.      Bro/Bro
Warrant #: 1770207
ROBBERY-BODILY INJURY
Last known location: Houston Texas

RAYMOND ARTHUR LINDELL

W/M      01-30-67      6’00”/194 Lbs.      Bln/Blu
Warrant #: 1676994
CREDIT/DEBIT CARD ABUSE
Last known location: Pasadena Texas

ALVARO OBREGON

W/M      07-19-88      5’08”/210 Lbs.      Blk/Brn
Warrant #: 1769263
POSS CS PG 1/1-B >=4G<200G
Last known location: Houston Texas

DERRICK LEE PEAVY

B/M      12-01-79      6’01”/164 Lbs.      Blk/Brn
Warrant #: 1769968
THEFT <$2,500 2/MORE PREV CONVS
Last known location: Houston Texas

WILLIAM WAYNE SANGER

W/M      11-11-81      5’09”/205 Lbs.      Blk/Brn
Warrant #: 1769983
THEFT >=2,500 <30,000
Last known location: Houston Texas

GERRETT DEWAYNE WINN

B/M      12-31-88      5’09”/215 Lbs.      Blk/Blk
Warrant #: 1765845, 1765767
ENGAGING IN ORG CRIM ACT (GANG) x2
Last known location: Houston Texas

REPORT A TIP NOW

WANTED: Suspects responsible for Injury to a Child Under 14

0

 

Crime Stoppers and the Houston Police Department’s Special Victims Division need the public’s assistance locating fugitives Cynthia Acey and Willie Baker, who is wanted for Injury to a Child Under 15 with Bodily Injury.

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, Houston Police Officers received a report of a child victim who had been injured in the 5500 block of De Soto St. in Houston, Texas. During the investigation, it was revealed that the fugitives Cynthia Acey and Willie Baker physically abused the victim causing bodily injury.

Fugitive#1: Cynthia Acey is a black female, 42 years old, approximately 5’04”, 140 lbs., with brown eyes and black hair.

Fugitive#2: Willie Baker is a black male, 52 years old, approximately 5’08”, 190 lbs., with brown eyes and a bald head.

Crime Stoppers may pay up to $5,000 for information leading to the charging and/or arrest of the suspect(s) in this case. Information may be reported by calling 713-222-TIPS (8477), submitted online at www.crime-stoppers.org or through the Crime Stoppers mobile app. Only tips and calls DIRECTLY TO Crime Stoppers are anonymous and eligible for a cash reward.

Fugitive #1: Cynthia Acey
Fugitive #2: Willie Baker
Report a Tip Now!

Stars of ‘DC League of Super-Pets’ to Visit BARC, Sponsor Adoption Fees Saturday

0

HOUSTON – Costumed characters Krypto and Ace, stars of the upcoming “DC League of Super-Pets” movie, will be visiting BARC, the City of Houston’s Animal Shelter and Adoption Center, from 3 – 5 p.m. Saturday, June 4, at 3300 Carr St. to pose with fans of the movie and provide goodies to children who attend. As part of their visit, Warner Bros. will also be supporting the shelter by sponsoring the first ten adoptions of the day on Saturday.

“We’re very grateful to Warner Bros. for picking BARC as one of the stops on their upcoming character costume tour,” said Greg Damianoff, BARC Shelter Director. “The film prominently features shelter pets, and we’re grateful that Warner Bros. chose to partner with BARC to both highlight our own furry friends and encourage the community to adopt, don’t shop, through these waived adoption fees.”

In “DC League of Super-Pets,” Krypto the Super-Dog, voice by Dwayne Johnson, must convince a rag-tag pack of shelter pets—Ace the hound, PB the potbellied pig, Merton the turtle and Chip the squirrel—to master their own newfound powers and help him rescue their fellow DC superheroes. Watch the film trailer here.

Adoptions at BARC are first come, first serve and include a spay/neuter surgery, routine vaccinations, and a pre-registered microchip with a lifetime registration — worth hundreds of dollars if purchased independently. To meet our adoptable pets, stop by BARC’s Adoption Center at 3300 Carr St. from 12 – 5 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday or visit http://www.houstontx.gov/barc/adopt_a_pet.html to see our adoptable pets online. For more information on BARC’s full services, visit www.houstonbarc.com.

About BARC

BARC, the City of Houston’s Animal Shelter and Adoption Center, takes in more than 25,000 animals annually regardless of behavior, breed, or medical condition. BARC works each day to improve Houstonians and their pets’ health and safety by pioneering programs such as low-cost and no-cost spay/neuter services, mobile adoptions, transfer/rescue partnerships, and community outreach.
Through these programs and with community partners’ support, BARC’s live release rate has continued to improve and reached a historic high of 94.1% in 2021.

Visit www.houstonbarc.com or www.Facebook.com/BARCHouston for more information.

Jun 02 – Jun 08, 2022 | Weather

0

¡Que Onda Magazine!

El Líder del Clima.

Mantente informado.

Click on the map to view details or click here: QOHW0602

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mayor Turner and City Council Pass FY ’23 Budget  Budget prioritizes public safety, city services and infrastructure

0

City Council voted Wednesday to approve Mayor Sylvester Turner’s $5.7 billion proposed budget, including a general fund budget of $2.74 billion.

The budget includes across-the-board employee pay raises, operating expenses for new facilities, and a healthy budget stabilization fund to protect the city’s finances from economic uncertainties.

Mayor Turner’s seventh balanced budget in as many years does not include a property tax rate increase or any deferrals, or one-time land sales. Based on a foundation of sound financial management and creating a more resilient city, the budget prioritizes public safety, service and infrastructure, and Complete Communities.

“The FY23 budget prioritizes city services and ensures that we place the greatest care on our most valuable asset as a city—our people,” said Mayor Turner. “Fire fighters will gain a 6% increase, 4% for police, and 3% for municipal workers during the next fiscal year.”

New facilities are accounted for in the FY2023 budget, including the Alief Neighborhood Center, the Dr. Shannon Walker Library, and a renovated Kendall Library.

These facilities will connect residents to services like After-School and Summer Enrichment Programs, sports and recreation leagues, and medical assistance and education programs to promote wellness and reduce and prevent chronic disease.

Mayor Turner also commits to improving public safety through the use of ARPA funding for the One Safe Houston initiative, a comprehensive violence reduction program linking research-based strategies to enhance public safety and reduce harm.

One Safe Houston targets four key areas:

  • Violence Reduction and Crime Prevention
  • Crisis Intervention, Response, and Recovery
  • Youth Outreach Opportunities
  • Key Community Partnerships

More information about the budget may be found here.

Trooping the colour kicks off Queen’s platinum jubilee celebrations

Four days of festivities for the Queen’s platinum jubilee kicked off on Thursday with a display of military pageantry, a patriotic crowd of many thousands and a royal reunion, as the nation marked the 70th anniversary of the longest reigning monarch in British history at trooping the colour.

Seventy years after she took her first salute as sovereign, mobility issues dictated that the Queen break with tradition, allowing the Prince of Wales to take the salute on her behalf at Horse Guards Parade. He was joined by the Duke of Cambridge and the Princess Royal.

The monarch, 96, skipped the physically arduous inspecting of the guard and instead acknowledged the salute of the returning Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment at the end of the parade from the Buckingham Palace balcony, accompanied by the Duke of Kent, 86.

Watching the parade from the Major General’s Office overlooking Horse Guards were the Duchess of Cambridge with Prince George, eight, Princess Charlotte, seven, and Prince Louis, four, who had taken part in their first carriage procession.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex flew in from California with their children, Archie, three, and Lilibet, who turns one on Saturday. They were not included in the carriage procession to Horse Guards Parade but watched from the same office along with other royals. They are expected to attend a service of thanksgiving at St Paul’s on Friday.

There was one glaring absentee: the Duke of York. Stripped of royal patronages and affiliations after settling a civil suit in the US over sexual assault claims, he was not present. Family drama and scandal dictated the lineup on Buckingham Palace’s balcony for the RAF flypast marking the end of the ceremony, with no Andrew and no Harry or Meghan after “Megxit” and the couple’s accusations of racial hostility from the royal family.

Working royals only were to join the Queen on the balcony, she had decreed “after careful consideration”. On show as the Red Arrows roared over the palace trailing red, white and blue smoke above a cheering, flag-waving crowd were Charles and Camilla, William and Kate, Edward and Sophie, and Anne and her husband, Tim Laurence, joined by the less familiar faces of the Queen’s other working relatives, and the Cambridge and Wessex children.

This weekend Meghan will attend her first public engagement with the royal family since an awkward Commonwealth Day service in Westminster Abbey in March 2020. There is speculation that the Queen will meet Lilibet for the first time, or even that the Sussexes may have their daughter christened at Windsor.

The flypast of more than 70 aircraft including Apache helicopters, Typhoons and the Red Arrows thundered over a packed Mall, where crowds had gathered from early morning transforming it into a sea of red, white and blue. Union flag sellers did brisk business outside nearby tube stations. Cardboard crowns and corgis were popular. A small number of especially devout royal fans had camped overnight to secure the best vantage points. St James’s Park swiftly filled to capacity ahead of the ceremony, as did other viewing areas in central London as the Metropolitan police warned latecomers not to turn up.

This was the first major milestone the Queen has marked without Prince Philip, who died last year aged 99. Trooping the colour has marked the official birthday of the sovereign for more than 260 years, and is a staple annual event in the Queen’s diary.

Taking part were more than 1,400 soldiers and 250 horses from the British army’s Household Division. On this occasion the colour of the 1st Battalion The Irish Guards was trooped, led by their mascot, an Irish wolfhound called Seamus, in front of 7,500 ticketed spectators on Horse Guards Parade and another 7,000 at the Queen Victoria Memorial outside Buckingham Palace.

Governor Abbott Requests Special Legislative Committees To Provide Solutions To Protect All Texans Following Shooting At Robb Elementary School

0
Governor Greg Abbott today sent a joint letter to Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick and Speaker Dade Phelan requesting the Texas legislative leaders convene special legislative committees following last week’s tragic shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde. The special legislative committees should be charged with examining and developing legislative recommendations on school safety, mental health, social media, police training, firearm safety, and more.

“As Texans mourn the tragedy that occurred at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde last week, we as a State must reassess the twin issues of school safety and mass violence,” reads the letter. “As leaders, we must come together at this time to provide solutions to protect all Texans. Accordingly, I hereby request that each of you convene a special legislative committee. I look forward to working with you both on this important mission to make Texas safer, and I stand ready to provide any and all support.”