78.5 F
Houston
Saturday, May 23, 2026

Home Blog Page 3

Raul Castro Charged in 1996 Plane Shootdown Case

The U.S. Justice Department has charged former Cuban President Raul Castro with murder over the 1996 shootdown of two humanitarian planes operated by the Miami-based group Brothers to the Rescue.

The newly unsealed indictment accuses Castro of conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals, destruction of aircraft, and murder in connection with the deaths of four men, including three American citizens. The planes were shot down over the Florida Straits during rescue missions for Cuban migrants.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche announced the charges in Miami, calling the case a major step toward accountability for attacks on Americans abroad.

Cuba’s government strongly rejected the indictment. President Miguel Díaz-Canel described the case as politically motivated, while Cuban officials argued the 1996 operation was carried out in “legitimate defense.”

The indictment marks one of the highest-profile U.S. legal actions ever taken against senior Cuban leadership.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Man accused of posing as police officer during traffic stop, Humble PD says

0

HUMBLE, Texas (KTRK) — A man is behind bars after Humble police say they spotted him driving a car fitted with police decals.

Eyewitness News obtained pictures of the Toyota Camry emblazoned with the word ‘police’ on the front and back, as well as ‘Federal Pastor Juan Cruz’ on the side.

Police say they spotted the car at a red light along the Eastex Freeway at Greens Road while on an unrelated traffic stop.

According to court documents, 39-year-old Juan Cruz Garcia immediately identified himself as a police officer when police pulled him over.

He’s then accused of handing officers a document titled “Detective Police Officer New York #00001,” which police said was clearly fake.

Cruz Garcia later told officers he was a “police officer in his church.”

A Google search of the church name displayed on Cruz Garcia’s car, Ministerio Casa de Adoracion Inc, Texas U.S., brought Eyewitness News to a house in Greenspoint.

The owner told Eyewitness News that Cruz Garcia rents a room from him.

He and his neighbors say they’ve all seen the car with the word ‘police’ parked outside, but say Cruz Garcia never gave a reason for having.

One neighbor said he doesn’t believe Cruz Garcia intended to impersonate law enforcement.

Cruz Garcia was arrested and charged with impersonating a public servant.

An immigration hold has also been placed on him. In a probable cause hearing, he said he was a citizen of El Salvador.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

SpaceX Files for IPO, Targets $1.75 Trillion Valuation

0

Elon Musk’s aerospace giant SpaceX has officially filed for an initial public offering (IPO), setting the stage for one of the biggest stock market debuts in recent years. The Texas-based company is reportedly seeking a valuation of $1.75 trillion, which would place it among the world’s most valuable companies.

Founded in 2002, SpaceX has become a dominant force in commercial spaceflight through rocket launches and its growing Starlink satellite internet network.

AI Expansion Fuels Investor Interest

The IPO is expected to help fund the company’s expanding artificial intelligence ambitions. Earlier this year, SpaceX merged with xAI, Musk’s AI startup behind the chatbot Grok, which competes with platforms like OpenAI’s ChatGPT and Google Gemini.

SpaceX says the merger supports its long-term vision of creating “orbital data centers” — satellites designed to provide computing power in space. The company argues the project could help ease pressure on energy grids as demand for AI infrastructure continues to rise.

IPO Comes Amid Legal Battle

The filing also arrives shortly after a federal court dismissed Musk’s lawsuit against OpenAI and CEO Sam Altman. Musk accused the company of moving away from its original nonprofit mission, while OpenAI’s legal team argued the claims were time-barred.

Musk has since vowed to appeal the ruling, calling the decision a “calendar technicality.”

For more business news and updates, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

YouTuber Ordered to Pay $17.5 Million in Kiely Rodni Defamation Case

A jury has ordered YouTube personality Ryan Upchurch to pay $17.5 million to the father of Kiely Rodni after finding that his online claims caused severe emotional harm to the grieving family.

False Claims About Teen’s Death

Kiely Rodni disappeared on August 6, 2022, after attending a party at the Prosser Family Campground near Truckee, California. A massive search effort followed before her body was discovered two weeks later inside her submerged SUV.

Authorities later ruled the 16-year-old’s death an accidental drowning and found no evidence of foul play.

Despite those findings, Upchurch allegedly posted videos claiming the tragedy was a hoax created by Kiely’s family to raise money online. According to the lawsuit, he also suggested that Kiely and some relatives were “not real.”

Family Endured Public Harassment

During the search, Kiely’s father, Daniel Rodni, and other relatives spent days searching for the missing teen alongside volunteers and community members.

Volunteer dive group Adventures With Purpose eventually located Kiely’s vehicle underwater near the campground using sonar equipment. The discovery shocked the family and drew nationwide attention.

The lawsuit argued that Upchurch’s videos intensified the family’s trauma during an already devastating period.

Upchurch Issues Statement After Verdict

Following the verdict, Upchurch’s legal team released a statement expressing sympathy for the Rodni family and acknowledging their grief.

The statement also defended free speech rights while saying the family deserves privacy and time to heal after the tragedy.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Early Voting Ongoing for Texas Primary Runoff Election

Early voting is now underway for Texas’ May 26 primary runoff election, with polls open from May 18 through May 22 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

One of the state’s most closely watched races is the Republican runoff for U.S. Senate, where incumbent Sen. John Cornyn faces Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. A recent University of Houston Hobby School survey showed Paxton holding a slim lead.

On the Democratic side, attention is focused on Congressional District 18. Christian Menefee was sworn into office earlier this year, while longtime Congressman Al Green is now running in the district following Texas’ congressional redistricting.

Voters who participated in the March primary must vote in the same party’s runoff election.

Harris County residents can review sample ballots and find polling locations through Harris Votes

For the latest election coverage, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

‘A nightmare’: Passenger describes frantic moments during deadly Galveston officer-involved shooting

GALVESTON, Texas (KTRK) — A passenger described the frantic moments that took place during a traffic stop that turned deadly involving a Galveston officer.

Hours after the crime scene tape and officers went away, Ashley Parks is trying to make sense of the shooting that left her friend, Randy Martin, dead.

“It’s like a nightmare,” Parks explained. “Imagine someone getting killed in front of you for no reason, that just repeats in your head. The sound of something loud, you jump.”

Parks said on Monday she was riding with Martin on 55th Street near Avenue O in Galveston when an unmarked unit put its lights on behind them.

RELATED: Man shot and killed by officer during traffic stop in Galveston, police department says
“He comes up to the window, he asked him for his information,” Parks recalled. Moments later, Parks said there was nothing routine about the traffic stop.

“He’s tussling with him,” Parks recalled. “He’s trying to get a reaction out of him. I’m like, ‘Randy, stop, stop, stop. Why are you stopping him?’ He said he didn’t stop at a stop sign. That was his reasoning after the fact of pulling him out.”

Parks said moments later, she’ll never forget what she heard next. “Six times you shoot him,” Parks said. “Six times. Once was enough if you wanted him to get down and stop. Whatever you thought he was doing, that wasn’t enough.”

On Monday, Galveston police wouldn’t tell ABC13 why Martin was pulled over. They told Eyewitness News it was unknown if he had a weapon.

A day later, they still won’t tell ABC13 if Martin was armed. Police told us an officer called for backup.

Next, they said a struggle took place, and an officer opened fire. Olivia Gray said she didn’t witness the shooting, but she watched from her home after hearing it.

She was upset with the department’s statement saying officers immediately rendered aid.

“I would say it was a solid three or four minutes after this man was shot in the chest,” Gray recalled. “I don’t know if that’s what they consider immediate, but not in my book.”

DPS told ABC13 the Rangers are investigating. They told Eyewitness News to ask GPD for officer information. A spokesperson didn’t respond to ABC13’s questions on Tuesday.

Parks said she’s looking for answers to explain why the person she considered Superman ended up dead.

“This is a nightmare,” Parks said. “It’s something that will forever be planted in my head.”

Martin’s family members were with Parks on Tuesday. They told ABC13 they’re planning a protest at GPD to demand answers and accountability for his death.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

American Doctor With Ebola Transferred to Germany for Treatment

Dr. Peter Stafford, an American doctor who contracted Ebola while treating patients in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, has arrived in Germany for specialized medical care.

Mission organization Serge confirmed Stafford is being treated at Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin after testing positive for the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola.

Family and Other Missionaries Monitored

Stafford’s wife and four children are expected to join him in Germany, while six other Americans potentially exposed to the virus are being monitored in Europe.

The 39-year-old surgeon became infected while working in Bunia, eastern Congo, before the outbreak was officially identified.

Ebola Outbreak Expands in Central Africa

The current outbreak has caused nearly 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, according to the World Health Organization.

Health officials say the outbreak involves the rare Bundibugyo Ebola variant, which currently has no approved vaccine or treatment. Cases have also been reported in neighboring Uganda.

The CDC said the risk to the U.S. public remains low, though officials are preparing additional travel screening measures.

For more on the recent ebola outbreak, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Barney Frank, Influential Former Congressman and LGBTQ+ Advocate, Dies at 86

Barney Frank, the longtime Massachusetts congressman known for championing financial reform and LGBTQ+ rights, has died at the age of 86, according to his family.

Frank’s sister, Doris Breay, confirmed that the former lawmaker died Tuesday night, remembering him as “a wonderful brother.”

Trailblazing Political Career

A Democrat, Frank represented Massachusetts in Congress for more than three decades and became one of the first openly gay members of Congress. He was widely recognized for his outspoken personality and influence on national policy.

Frank also served as chairman of the House Financial Services Committee from 2007 to 2011 during one of the most turbulent economic periods in modern U.S. history.

Key Architect of Dodd-Frank Reform

Following the 2008 financial crisis, Frank helped lead efforts to strengthen oversight of Wall Street. He was a principal co-sponsor of the landmark Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, signed into law in 2010.

The legislation aimed to prevent another major financial collapse by increasing regulations on banks and financial institutions.

Legacy in Congress

Frank retired from Congress in 2013 after building a reputation as one of the Democratic Party’s most influential lawmakers.

He leaves behind a lasting legacy in both financial reform and the fight for LGBTQ+ representation in American politics.

For more updates on political figures, tune in to Que Onda Magazine.

ABC13 Weather Watch: Street flooding, severe weather possible as rain continues into morning commute

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — Multiple rounds of showers and thunderstorms are expected now through Memorial Day, with street flooding and severe weather possible.

An ABC13 Weather Watch remains in place throughout the Wednesday morning commute.

The heavy rain should begin to taper off mid-morning with drier conditions on tap this afternoon.

SEE YOUR FULL WEATHER FORECAST

SEE ALSO: ABC13 Weather Watch: Widespread storms could bring street flooding, severe weather Friday

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Authorities Review Alleged Livestream Video of San Diego Mosque Shooting

Federal and local investigators are examining an online video allegedly posted by one of the suspects in Monday’s deadly shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, according to law enforcement sources.

Three men, including security guard Amin Abdullah, were killed in the attack. Police said the two suspected shooters, ages 17 and 18, were later found dead inside a nearby vehicle.

Authorities identified the suspects as Cain Clark and Caleb Vazquez. Investigators believe the teens were radicalized online and are exploring possible links to neo-Nazi and nihilistic extremist ideologies.

Extremist Symbols and Writings Found

Sources told investigators that extremist symbols, including neo-Nazi imagery, were visible in the alleged video and on items recovered at the scene. Authorities also recovered writings promoting white nationalism and hatred toward minorities and immigrants.

The FBI said the suspects appeared to share a “broad hatred” of multiple racial and religious groups.

Security Guard Credited With Saving Lives

Undated photos of L-R: Mansour Kaziha, Amin Abdullah and Nadir Awad, the victims of the shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on May 18, 2026.
San Diego Police Dept.

Police said Abdullah exchanged gunfire with the suspects and triggered a lockdown that helped protect roughly 140 children inside the mosque at the time of the shooting.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl called Abdullah’s actions heroic, saying they likely prevented a much larger tragedy.

The two other victims were identified as Mansour Kaziha and Nadir Awad.

Authorities said the investigation remains ongoing, and the shooting is currently being treated as a possible hate crime.

For more on the San Diego Islamic center shooting, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.