76.5 F
Houston
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Home Blog Page 6

Former Cuban President Raúl Castro Could Face U.S. Indictment, Sources Say

Former Cuban leader Raúl Castro could face a criminal indictment in the United States within days, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

Federal investigators in South Florida are reportedly examining Castro’s possible connection to the 1996 shootdown of civilian aircraft operated by the humanitarian organization Brothers to the Rescue.

Investigation Focuses on 1996 Plane Shootdown

The incident occurred when Cuban fighter jets shot down two planes flown by the Miami-based exile group over international waters, killing four people onboard. The organization was known for conducting missions to locate and assist Cuban migrants attempting to flee the island.

The potential case is reportedly being handled by prosecutors in the Southern District of Florida.

Trump Signals Tougher Cuba Policy

The possible indictment comes as Donald Trump increases pressure on Cuba during his current administration.

Earlier this month, Trump made controversial remarks suggesting the United States would soon shift its attention toward Cuba following tensions involving Iran. His comments sparked renewed debate over future U.S.-Cuba relations and possible policy changes toward Havana.

Cuba has long faced strained diplomatic relations with the United States, particularly over human rights concerns, political repression and Cold War-era conflicts.

Officials have not publicly confirmed whether formal charges against Castro will ultimately be filed.

For more on the possible indictment of Castro, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Suspect in custody after standoff with law enforcement at northwest Harris County home, HCSO says

0

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) — A suspect is in custody after a standoff with law enforcement at a northwest Harris County home on Friday, according to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

The Harris County Sheriff’s Office said SWAT members responded at 9 a.m. to the 16200 block of Coleburn in reference to a felony warrant, after a wife was allegedly assaulted by her husband.

HCSO said that authorities conducted surveillance on the home and tried to make contact with the suspect, but he ran and barricaded himself inside the home.

Deputies said that they heard a noise that caused concern, which they believed was a possible gun racking.

Authorities said that the suspect wouldn’t cooperate with law enforcement, which led to the SWAT team deploying gas into the home. At 1:45 p.m., the suspect surrendered peacefully to law enforcement, HCSO said.

The sheriff’s office said that the suspect has a history of family violence. Previous charges include continuous violence charge against a family member in 2025, a charge of assaulting a family member in 2017, and a charge of injury to a child for allegedly choking his 12-year-old son in 2012. According to court records, these prior charges were dismissed each time after the suspect completed a family violence class. The suspect was also charged with violating a protective order in 2012 but the case was dismissed.

HCSO said that the suspect’s wife was treated at a hospital and released. Additionally, there are children who live in the home, but weren’t home at the time of the incident.

If you need help getting out of a domestic violence situation, call the Houston Area Women’s Center 24/7 hotline at 713-528-2121 or call AVDA at 713-224-9911. You can also click here to chat with an advocate online. If you are deaf or hard of hearing and need help, call 713-528-3625.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Burger King parking lot shooting sends 2 teens to hospital, suspect in custody, HPD says

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — Two 16-year-olds were injured and rushed to the hospital after a shooting in the Third Ward, according to the Houston Police Department.

The incident happened at the 3700 block of Scott Street near Yates High School and between the Texas Southern University and the University of Houston’s campuses.

HPD said that the teens were hurt but expected to be OK.

Investigators said that officers in unmarked cars saw the suspect flee and board a METRO bus. They added that they followed the bus and arrested him once he got off.

Lt. Larry Crowson said officers found two weapons hidden in some landscaping at a nearby Burger King.

Crowson added that an argument led to the shooting in the Burger King parking lot, adding that it stemmed from an ongoing dispute and that the three people involved may attend the same school.

HPD said they were assisted by HISD PD, Metro PD, and Pct. 7 Constable’s Office.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Federal Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty in Killing of Israeli Embassy Staffers

Federal prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Elias Rodriguez in the fatal shooting of two Israeli Embassy employees in Washington, D.C.

Rodriguez, 31, faces multiple charges, including murder, hate crimes and terrorism-related offenses in connection with the May 2025 attack outside the Capital Jewish Museum.

Victims Were Israeli Embassy Employees

The victims were identified as:

  • Yaron Lischinsky
  • Sarah Milgrim

Authorities said the couple had planned to become engaged before they were shot and killed while leaving an event at the museum.

According to investigators, Rodriguez allegedly shouted “Free Palestine” during the attack and later told police he carried out the shooting “for Palestine.”

Terrorism and Hate Crime Charges

Jeanine Pirro said in court filings that the nature of the killings justifies pursuing capital punishment if Rodriguez is convicted.

Federal prosecutors initially charged Rodriguez with murder and hate crimes before adding terrorism charges in a superseding indictment earlier this year.

Lischinsky, an Israeli citizen, was working for the Israeli government on official business in the United States at the time of the shooting. Milgrim, a U.S. citizen from Kansas, also worked for the Israeli Embassy.

Rodriguez has pleaded not guilty, and a trial date has not yet been announced.

The shooting intensified concerns about rising antisemitic violence and political extremism in the United States following tensions linked to the Israel-Hamas conflict.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

5 Italian Divers Killed in Maldives Underwater Cave Tragedy

Five Italian scuba divers, including a mother and daughter, died during a deep cave diving expedition in the Maldives, according to Maldivian and Italian authorities.

The accident happened Thursday in the Vaavu Atoll, where the group was exploring an underwater cave about 200 feet deep. Officials said one body has been recovered, while four others are believed to remain trapped inside the cave.

Maldives National Defence Force teams launched a difficult recovery mission but suspended operations Friday because of dangerous weather conditions. Authorities described the effort as a “high-risk operation” requiring specialized diving equipment.

Victims Identified

Italian officials identified the victims as:

  • Monica Montefalcone
  • Giorgia Sommacal
  • Muriel Oddenino
  • Federico Gualtieri
  • Gianluca Benedetti

Italian authorities said the divers were exploring caves nearly 50 meters below the surface when the tragedy occurred. Investigators are still working to determine the exact cause of the accident.

Italy, Maldives Respond

Maldivian presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef offered condolences to Italy and said recovering the remaining divers remains a top priority.

The Italian Embassy in Colombo is assisting the victims’ families and supporting about 20 other Italian nationals who were part of the diving expedition aboard the vessel Duke of York.

Vaavu Atoll is known for its popular diving sites and underwater caves, attracting experienced divers from around the world.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Salsa de Mayo Celebrates Houston Tomato Season in the East End

Finca Tres Robles Hosting Free Community Festival

Finca Tres Robles will celebrate the start of Houston’s tomato season with its annual Salsa de Mayo festival on May 16 in the East End.

The free, family-friendly event runs from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the urban farm located at 5715 Canal Street.

Food, Music, and Local Culture

Salsa de Mayo will feature a neighborhood salsa competition showcasing homemade recipes and local flavors, along with live music, local vendors, and family activities.

Attendees will also see the unveiling of a new mural by Houston artist Jatziri Barron.

“Finca Tres Robles is more than a farm — it’s a gathering place where community, culture, and food come together,” said Executive Director Tom Garcia-Prats.

Supporting Local Food Access

Organizers say sponsorship opportunities remain available for businesses and community partners interested in supporting the farm’s mission of expanding access to affordable local produce and strengthening community connections in Houston’s East End.

Small Places operates Finca Tres Robles and offers educational programs, fresh produce sales, and community events throughout the year.

Tickets and additional information are available at Salsa de Mayo.

For more Houston events, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

From Near Extinction to Recovery: The Bison’s Conservation Success Story

The American bison once roamed North America in massive herds numbering more than 30 million. By the late 1800s, however, overhunting, habitat loss and westward expansion pushed the species to the brink of extinction, leaving fewer than 1,000 bison alive.

Conservation efforts led by Indigenous communities, national parks, ranchers and wildlife organizations helped reverse the decline. Protected breeding programs and habitat restoration projects have since increased the population to roughly 500,000 bison across North America today, though only a small percentage are considered truly wild.

The bison’s comeback is often viewed as one of conservation’s greatest success stories. Similar progress has been seen with the Bald eagle, whose population rebounded after bans on harmful pesticides like DDT, and the Gray wolf, which has returned to parts of the United States through reintroduction programs.

Still, many species remain in danger and require urgent attention. The Red wolf is one of the world’s rarest wild canines, with only a small population remaining in the wild. Marine animals like the Vaquita are also nearing extinction due to illegal fishing practices and habitat threats.

Conservationists say the recovery of the bison proves endangered species can survive when governments, communities and environmental groups work together. While success stories offer hope, experts warn that continued funding, habitat protection and climate action remain critical to protecting wildlife for future generations.

For more ways to support conservation and environmentalism, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Judge Declares Mistrial in Harvey Weinstein Rape Retrial

0

A New York judge declared a mistrial Friday in Harvey Weinstein’s rape retrial after jurors said they were unable to reach a unanimous verdict.

The closely watched case centered on allegations by Jessica Mann, a hairstylist and aspiring actor, who accused Weinstein of raping her in 2013. Weinstein denied the accusation, with his attorneys arguing the encounter was consensual.

Jury Unable to Reach Verdict

The Manhattan jury, made up mostly of men, deliberated for three days before informing Judge Curtis Farber that they could not agree on a decision. The judge initially instructed jurors to continue discussions, but later declared a mistrial after the deadlock remained unresolved.

The outcome leaves the rape charge against Weinstein undecided following multiple trials in New York.

Previous Conviction Overturned

Weinstein’s original 2020 New York conviction involving Mann and another accuser was overturned by an appeals court, leading to a retrial. A separate retrial last year also failed to produce a verdict after jury deliberations collapsed amid internal disputes.

During testimony, Mann said she had consensual encounters with Weinstein during their complicated relationship but alleged the 2013 incident was nonconsensual. Defense attorneys pointed to continued contact between the two after the alleged assault as part of their argument.

Weinstein Remains Behind Bars

Despite the mistrial, Weinstein remains incarcerated due to separate sex-crime convictions in California. The former movie producer, now 74, has repeatedly denied assault allegations, saying he “acted wrongly” but did not commit sexual assault.

The case remains one of the most high-profile legal battles connected to the MeToo movement era.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Driver in custody after chase near Willis after starting in north Houston on Friday morning

0

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) — A chase has ended near the Willis area after starting off in parts of Houston on Friday morning, officials said.

The chase was first reported near I-45, then slowed near Highway 75 on West Rogers Street.

Officials did not elaborate on what led to the chase or if there was a threat to the community.

According to traffic cameras, Houston Police Department officers were reportedly pursuing a driver in a red pickup truck.

SkEye13 was on scene after the chase ended, where multiple officers were seen surrounding the pickup.

The truck driver is in custody at this time, officials said.

At this time, no injuries were reported.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Trump Warns Iran to Reach Nuclear Deal or Face Military Action

Donald Trump said Iran must agree to a nuclear deal with the United States or risk severe military consequences, during a wide-ranging interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity that aired Thursday night from China.

Trump said Iran’s choices were simple: “make a deal or get annihilated,” while emphasizing that he would prefer a diplomatic resolution.

“I don’t want to do that, but we have the greatest military,” Trump said during the interview.

Trump Says Iran Rebuilt Some Capabilities

The president acknowledged that Iran has managed to restore portions of its military and nuclear-related infrastructure despite previous U.S. actions targeting the country’s nuclear facilities.

“They built it up a little bit. We’ll take it out in one day. It’ll all be gone,” Trump said.

Trump also suggested his administration is losing patience with ongoing negotiations involving Tehran.

Tensions Rise Over Nuclear Sites

Trump claimed the United States is closely monitoring three targeted Iranian nuclear sites with surveillance systems and warned that any attempt by Iran to move enriched uranium could trigger military action.

According to Trump, the U.S. has “nine cameras” focused on the facilities and would respond with airstrikes if Iran attempted to access the material.

The comments come as tensions remain high over Iran’s nuclear program and ongoing international negotiations aimed at limiting Tehran’s nuclear capabilities.

For more on the U.S.-Iran war, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.