76.5 F
Houston
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Home Blog Page 4

Americans Arrested After Entering Monkey Enclosure at Viral Japanese Zoo

0

Viral Baby Macaque Draws Global Attention

Two American tourists were arrested in Japan after one allegedly entered a monkey enclosure at the popular Ichikawa City Zoo, home to Punch — the baby macaque that became an internet sensation earlier this year.

According to police, the incident happened Sunday when a 24-year-old American man climbed over a fence and dropped into a dry moat surrounding the monkey exhibit. Authorities said another American, a 27-year-old singer, filmed the stunt.

Social Media Stunt Sparks Police Response

Videos shared online showed the man wearing a costume featuring a large smiley-face head and sunglasses as monkeys scattered around the enclosure. Zoo officials quickly intervened before the men could approach the animals.

Police said the pair were arrested on suspicion of forcible obstruction of business, though both deny the allegations. Officials also claimed the men initially provided false names and carried no formal identification.

Punch the Macaque Became a Viral Star

The zoo recently saw a surge in visitors after Punch captured hearts online. The baby macaque was reportedly abandoned by his mother shortly after birth and later photographed hugging an IKEA plush orangutan for comfort.

Born in July, Punch was raised in an artificial environment before beginning reintegration training with his troop earlier this year. Fans worldwide rallied around the monkey using the hashtag “#HangInTherePunch.”

Growing Concerns Over Tourist Behavior in Japan

The arrests come as Japan experiences record-breaking tourism numbers alongside increasing complaints about disruptive visitor behavior.

Recent incidents include the arrest of a Ukrainian YouTuber accused of trespassing in the Fukushima nuclear exclusion zone and American livestreamer Johnny Somali, who was arrested in 2023 over alleged trespassing at a construction site.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Rounds of rain expected this week, strong storms and street flooding possible

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — Increasing moisture levels will pave the way for a wet week with multiple rounds of showers and storms expected Tuesday through Friday.

Monday will look and feel pretty similar to what we witnessed on Sunday. A gusty, southerly breeze will keep the humidity high and bring a few showers too. Temperatures Monday will only climb into the mid 80s once again with it being another mostly cloudy day. An isolated shower will be possible, otherwise most areas stay dry.

What’s the latest on rain chances this week?

Multiple jet stream disturbances plus a cool front will help bring more widespread rainfall to Southeast Texas. Rain chances really begin to climb Tuesday evening as this cool front approaches the Houston area. It likely reaches Southeast Texas and the I-10 corridor Wednesday, then stalling midweek. This plus the jet stream pattern will keep the chance for multiple rounds of showers and storms in the forecast through the end of the work week. And while there is the chance a few of these storms could be on the strong side with gusty winds and small hail, the main threat will be the piling on of rainfall with round after round of rain. By the end of the week there could be a daily risk for street and urban flooding plus isolated flash flooding depending on where and when the heavy rain falls.

How much rain are we talking for this week?

With several rounds of rain in the forecast this week and possibly into Memorial Day weekend, portions of Southeast Texas could easily pick up around 3 to 5 inches of rain with some spots receiving upwards of 6 to 8 inches when all is said and done. Remember that these totals are spread amongst several days, so it should be a manageable rainfall forecast for the most part. However, street and urban flooding will be a daily possibility and there will always be the chance for flash flooding depending on how much rain falls when and where plus how saturated the soil is. And there’s the chance bayous, creeks and streams could be running high all week long, but no bayou flooding is forecast at this time.

Any early indications on what it’ll look like for Memorial Day weekend?

At this time there’s the chance we keep some of these showers and storms going to kickoff Memorial Day Weekend on Saturday, so you may need to plan around those. There is the possibility that the rain and storms wont be as widespread, especially heading into Sunday and Monday. Otherwise expect a warm weekend with morning lows in the low-mid 70s and afternoon highs in the mid-upper 80s through Monday.

SEE ALSO: ABC13 Weather Watch: Widespread storms could bring street flooding, severe weather Friday

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Astros’ Jose Altuve Placed on Injured List With Oblique Strain

0

The Houston Astros will place star second baseman Jose Altuve on the injured list after he suffered a Grade 2 left oblique strain, manager Joe Espada confirmed Sunday.

Altuve underwent an MRI after appearing to injure himself during an awkward swing in Saturday’s win over the Texas Rangers. He did not play Sunday.

Espada did not provide a timetable for Altuve’s return but said younger players will get more opportunities during his absence.

Rookie Brice Matthews started at second base Sunday, while Braden Shewmake could also see increased playing time.

The Astros entered Sunday with 14 players already on the injured list. Altuve, a nine-time All-Star, is batting .245 with 12 RBIs this season as Houston struggles at 19-29.

For the latest Houston local sports news, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

New data shows Houston-area suburb sinks more than a foot in nearly two decades

KATY, Texas (KTRK) — A Houston suburb has sunk more than a foot over nearly two decades, according to new data.

The report stated that the fast-growing community of Katy is sinking, but this particular suburb isn’t alone.

Data showed parts of northwestern Harris County are in the same boat, and that it has to do with the amount of groundwater withdrawal in the area.

The Harris-Galveston Subsidence District said that when large amounts of groundwater are removed, it causes the land to sink.

Officials from the district said that while the process is slow, it’s also irreversible.

“It’s alarming and shocking. It’s kind of scary, too, at the same time,” Katy resident, Maria Shelton said.

Katy had the greatest subsidence rate in the region, according to the district.

The district tracks that data through 190 GPS monitoring stations.

“We also saw areas of subsidence occurring all throughout northwestern Harris County in areas like Katy, Cypress, Tomball, Spring, The Woodlands; all of those areas are showing active subsidence,” Casey Hughes, HGSD Communications Director, said.

The district said subsidence is the gradual sinking of the land caused by groundwater withdrawal.

“The areas that we are seeing actively subsiding, those areas still rely heavily on groundwater to supply their water demand,” Hughes said.

The process is slow, but permanent, according to the district.

“Damage to infrastructure, like your homes, roads, bridges, buildings,” Hughes said. “It can also increase our flood risk.”

Other parts of the region have also felt the impact, like the Brownwood Subdivision in Baytown.

“Some areas, like in Baytown, they experienced about ten feet of subsidence over the course of about four decades,” Hughes said.

But the district said those areas aren’t seeing any subsidence anymore because of the groundwater regulations they put in place.

They said the focus now shifts to the northwestern parts of the county as well.

“There is a conversion requirement by 2035 for those areas to fully transition from groundwater to alternative water supplies,” Hughes said.

The subsidence district said that if that doesn’t happen, there is a financial penalty of $12,520 per million gallons of water.

Katy residents told ABC13 they hope the sinking slows down before any problems rise to the surface.

“How can we change it? What does that look like for us being here in the Katy area? Because we love Katy,” Katy resident, April Thompkins said.

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.

Midair Collision Between Navy Jets Forces Lockdown at Idaho Air Show

0

Two U.S. Navy fighter jets collided midair during an air show Sunday afternoon at Mountain Home Air Force Base, prompting an immediate lockdown and cancellation of the event.

According to the U.S. Navy, the crash involved two EA-18 Growler jets performing at the Gunfighter Skies Air Show near Boise.

All Four Crew Members Ejected Safely

Navy officials said all four crew members aboard the aircraft successfully ejected before the jets crashed.

A bystander video captured the midair collision, May 17, 2026, of two U.S. Navy jets performing a demonstration at the Mountain Home Air Force Base outside of Boise, Idaho. A Navy spokesperson said the four crew members evacuated and were being medically evaluated. Coutesy of
Shane Ogden

Cmdr. Amelia Umayam confirmed the crews were medically evaluated and listed in stable condition following the incident.

The collision occurred around 12:10 p.m. local time while the jets were conducting an aerial demonstration.

Video Captures Dramatic Crash

Bystander video showed the two aircraft flying close together before colliding in midair. Moments later, the jets spiraled toward the ground as parachutes deployed from the aircraft.

Footage also captured a large plume of black smoke after the planes crashed and exploded on the ground.

The aircraft were assigned to the Navy’s Electronic Attack Squadron based at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island.

Air Show Cancelled After Incident

The Mountain Home Police Department announced the air show was canceled immediately following the crash and urged spectators to avoid traveling to the base.

Officials said the cause of the collision remains under investigation. For more details, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

3 Suspects Arrested After Series of Random Shootings in Austin

0

Three suspects are in custody following a string of apparently random shootings across Austin that left four people injured, according to police.

The Austin Police Department said at least 10 shootings were reported between late Saturday and Sunday. Authorities confirmed that none of the injuries were fatal.

Teens Among Suspects Arrested

Police said two suspects, ages 15 and 17, were taken into custody during a traffic stop Sunday afternoon and transported to a juvenile detention center.

A third suspect fled the vehicle, triggering a lengthy search before officers with the Manor Police Department located and arrested the individual several hours later.

Victims and Buildings Targeted

According to Austin Police Chief Lisa Davis, the shootings appeared random and targeted homes, apartment complexes, and even fire stations.

In one incident Sunday morning, a man walking his dog was shot in the back, police said.

Authorities described the violence as “senseless” and said investigators have not identified a motive.

Investigation Continues

Police believe the suspects stole at least four vehicles during the crime spree. The 17-year-old suspect is also accused of stealing a firearm.

Investigators are continuing to examine the shootings and possible connections between the incidents.

For more on this story, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Rep. Thomas Massie Says Billionaires Are Trying to ‘Buy’ His Kentucky Seat Ahead of Primary

0

Days before Kentucky’s Republican primary, Thomas Massie accused out-of-state billionaires and pro-Israel groups of pouring millions into efforts to unseat him in Congress.

Speaking on ABC’s This Week, Massie claimed the race had become “the most expensive primary in congressional history” because wealthy donors were attempting to influence the outcome.

Massie Targets Outside Donors

Massie specifically named GOP donors Miriam Adelson and Paul Singer, along with organizations including American Israel Public Affairs Committee and Republican Jewish Coalition.

The Kentucky congressman argued the spending reflects growing pressure from pro-Israel political groups on members of Congress.

Massie also said his opposition campaign has become a “referendum on foreign policy,” claiming he has resisted pressure from influential lobbying organizations.

Trump Intensifies Attacks

Former President Donald Trump has repeatedly criticized Massie ahead of Tuesday’s primary, accusing him of opposing key Republican priorities including tax cuts, border security, and military funding.

Trump endorsed former Navy SEAL Ed Gallrein in the race after encouraging him to challenge Massie last year.

The contest follows another high-profile Republican primary battle in Louisiana, where Trump-backed efforts to defeat Sen. Bill Cassidy were unsuccessful.

Massie Confident Despite Pressure

Despite heavy opposition, Massie said he remains confident heading into the election, citing support from gun rights groups, anti-abortion organizations, and grassroots donors.

The seven-term congressman said tens of thousands of supporters have contributed to his campaign as he attempts to fend off one of the toughest primary challenges of his political career.

For more on the 2026 primaries, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

3 Killed After Vehicle Crashes Into Pedestrians and Cars in Oakland

Three people were killed and several others injured after a vehicle struck pedestrians and parked cars late Saturday night in Oakland, according to local authorities.

The crash happened around 11:15 p.m. near the intersection of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue, officials said.

Driver Allegedly Speeding Before Crash

According to the Oakland Police Department, investigators believe the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed northbound on 85th Avenue before turning onto International Boulevard.

Police said the vehicle then crashed into a parked car and multiple pedestrians in the area.

Three pedestrians died at the scene. Authorities have not yet released the victims’ identities.

Several Others Hospitalized

Three additional people were transported to local hospitals, with injuries ranging from critical to stable condition, officials said.

The driver — identified as a juvenile — was also hospitalized and later arrested in connection with the crash.

The Oakland Fire Department said emergency crews responded quickly to the chaotic scene, where multiple victims required medical attention.

Investigation Ongoing

Police are continuing to investigate the cause of the crash. Authorities said it remains unclear whether alcohol or drugs played a role in the incident.

The investigation is ongoing. For more details on this tragedy, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Why 4.3 Million Americans Lost SNAP Benefits in One Year

0

Nearly 4.3 million Americans stopped receiving food assistance through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) between January 2025 and January 2026, according to preliminary data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

While Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins credited the decline to reduced fraud and a stronger economy, experts say new federal legislation played the biggest role.

New SNAP Rules Drove the Sharp Decline

Policy experts point to major changes included in the Republican-backed “One Big Beautiful Bill Act,” signed into law in July 2025. The legislation tightened work requirements and reduced eligibility for several groups previously exempt from SNAP rules.

Adults up to age 64 without dependents must now meet stricter work requirements, while exemptions for homeless individuals, veterans, refugees, and some former foster youth were removed.

Researchers say these changes made the program harder to access, especially for low-income families struggling to find stable work.

Fraud Accounts for Only a Small Percentage

Experts also dispute claims that widespread fraud caused the massive drop in SNAP enrollment.

Federal data shows fewer than 42,000 people were disqualified for SNAP fraud in fiscal year 2023 out of more than 42 million participants — less than 1% of recipients.

Food insecurity researchers say there is little evidence that fraud reduction explains the nearly 10% decline in participation.

Food Prices Continue to Rise

Although the U.S. economy showed moderate growth in 2025 and early 2026, many households continue to struggle with rising living costs.

Food prices increased 3.1% in 2025 and are expected to rise again this year. Experts say wage gains have not been enough to offset persistent poverty and high grocery costs for lower-income families.

SNAP Enrollment Fell Fast After New Law

SNAP participation dropped from about 42.8 million people in January 2025 to 38.5 million by January 2026.

Most of the decline happened after the new law took effect in July, supporting expert claims that stricter eligibility rules — not fraud or economic improvement — were the main reason millions lost food assistance.

For the latest on food access trends, stay tuned to Que Onda Magazine.

Gulf breeze cranks up, storm chances return to Houston next week

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — Get ready for that humid Gulf air to make a big come back in the days ahead. Strong onshore winds will pump up the humidity, setting the stage for multiple rain chances next week.

Winds out of the south and southeast continue gradually building the humidity across southeast Texas, and it will also lead to a high risk of rip currents on Gulf-facing beaches. Keep that in mind if you plan on spending time at the beach today. There’s also the risk for minor coastal flooding with high tides of 2 to 4 feet.

Today will feature a partly to mostly cloudy sky with a warm afternoon in the mid-upper 80s once again, but the humidity will be noticeably higher than yesterday. Thankfully a strong breeze will keep the air flowing, coming out of the southeast at about 20-25 mph.

When does the moisture surge back in?

The rise in humidity is here today, and it will also bring small chances of rain. Right now we have a 20% chance of a stray shower today.

What’s the latest on rain chances next week?

Multiple jet stream disturbances will track overhead next week bringing more widespread rainfall to Southeast Texas. These disturbances are difficult to time out more than 24 hours in advance, so rain chances are still a bit uncertain. For now we have rain chances at 40% to 70% for most of the work week with the highest chance coming on Wednesday. That’s when a weak front looks to slide under the jet stream and stall out nearby. Some of the storms could be strong-to-severe early in the week due to the unstable air, then we may see more of a street flooding risk materialize later in the week as the ground becomes saturated.

How much rain are we talking for next week?

With several rounds of rain in the forecast next week and possibly into Memorial Day weekend, portions of Southeast Texas could easily pick up around 2 to 4 inches of rain with some spots receiving upwards of 5 to 6 inches when all is said and done.

SEE ALSO: ABC13 Weather Watch: Widespread storms could bring street flooding, severe weather Friday

This story comes from our news partner ABC13 Houston.